Help!!! Warranty Expiring on 2013 Limited @75K

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Im139

Reaction score
Stealership back at it again.... my 2013 limited expy @75K extended warranty is about to expire. The stealership tells me I can’t bring it in for them to “find” issues covered by the warranty. I guess they expect the average Joe to be able to inspect their own vehicle for possible issues. I’m sure they want the warranty to expire with existing problems so the consumer either has to re-up the warranty or pay out of pocket for pre-existing issues. I have a previous report that mentioned rear differential leak so I know that needs to be addressed. Im sure your average consumer would have missed that until it became a greater issue. 2 years ago, I had both running board motors replaced because those were smoked at 40K due to the snow, ice, and salt.

Here’s my question; At 75K Miles, what should I be looking for that is most likely to be failing currently to have them look at? I also need to know what complaint would I communicate to them to have them look at that area. I have the Premium Car Care coverage so I believe most major issues should be covered.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pay somebody $75 - 100 for a full inspection

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My dear friend, its very unlikely that an dealer will happily search for covered items. Think about it, you are asking them to review a bunch of "maybe this, maybe that" when in fact, nothing has broke.

This simply isn't how the world runs....if you are so sure that SOMETHING has to be wrong, then so as my friend above suggests and pay someone to inspect it.

jeff

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used to work for both car and motorcycle dealerships as a service manager. I was working for the owner of the dealer, not the customer. That being said, I was fortunate to have owners that valued customer service. Like Jeff said, we didn't go looking for a problem that maybe one had with same vehicle. We always did a safety inspection, and if their was a Tsb bulletin to replace an item, we'd try to do it during that customer's visit. The problem with doing what your suggesting is the manufacturer won't pay for a fishing expedition, pardon the pun. If you read the posts of same vehicles here you'll see that some have had literally no issues, while others have lots. Whatever you find, or your mechanics inspection finds, be sure to document and take pics or videos. Even with a known problem, a lot of times the issue won't pop up at the dealer. The old it never hurts when you go to the doctors bit.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
I

Im139

Reaction score
Thanks for the comments. I guess I realize now that much of my frustration comes from the issue I had with paint peeling/bubbling off my lift gate and the dealer made it a hassle for me to get that repaired. It’s even worse that I drive around Dearborn seeing expys every day with the same issue and the company has yet to proactively address it. They let it go hoping it won’t show up until the warranty expires. The other thing I realize is because I work in healthcare, I know that some patients/customers have no clue on if they are getting the best care and if they know someone in the industry they have an advantage over most. Why not look around while you’re in there doing something else for the possibility of finding an abnormality to biopsy for cancer on an elderly patient. I guess when lives are on the line you should be more willing to fish around and work for the patient/customer and not your employer the hospital. Unfortunately, it doesn’t always work out that way.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I stopped by my local shop, let them know my warranty was expiring, and asked them if they could give the truck a thorough once over and see if anything was needed. It cost me $100. The payoff was the stealership replacing a rear strut (common problem) and repairing a leak in the oil pan under warranty. I think that was it in terms of mechanical issues. Most of my issues repaired under warranty were related to electronic items. (That's what I get for opting for the Limited.) The bigger payoff was the peace of mind I got from a trusted shop telling me that the truck was in excellent shape for 99,*** miles and giving me a very short list of repairs needed.

The power running boards are another common failure, but it's hard enough to get them to replace them when they're working 1 out of 10 times, let alone try to get them to do it if they're just starting to act up. In any case, just go down that extended warranty checklist and see what's on there that might warrant further investigation on your part.

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Stealership back at it again.... my 2013 limited expy @75K extended warranty is about to expire. The stealership tells me I can’t bring it in for them to “find” issues covered by the warranty. I guess they expect the average Joe to be able to inspect their own vehicle for possible issues. I’m sure they want the warranty to expire with existing problems so the consumer either has to re-up the warranty or pay out of pocket for pre-existing issues. I have a previous report that mentioned rear differential leak so I know that needs to be addressed. Im sure your average consumer would have missed that until it became a greater issue. 2 years ago, I had both running board motors replaced because those were smoked at 40K due to the snow, ice, and salt.

Here’s my question; At 75K Miles, what should I be looking for that is most likely to be failing currently to have them look at? I also need to know what complaint would I communicate to them to have them look at that area. I have the Premium Car Care coverage so I believe most major issues should be covered.

Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks

There are many things on a vehicle that work fine one day and crash and burn the next. Water pump, thermostat, spark plugs and wires, batteries, a/c compressor, drive belt, alternator, just to name a few. You can put it on a lift and all looks well one day but next day comes and the water pump quits. These are the facts of life, so you either pay to have things fixed, or you buy another extended warranty. To me the extended warranties are useless because the first three years your vehicle is covered anyway. If you haven’t had any internal engine or trans problems then I don’t think you will as long as you keep the vehicle serviced as required. If you feel you need another extended warranty then get one. If not, then pay to fix things as they break.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are many things on a vehicle that work fine one day and crash and burn the next. Water pump, thermostat, spark plugs and wires, batteries, a/c compressor, drive belt, alternator, just to name a few. You can put it on a lift and all looks well one day but next day comes and the water pump quits. These are the facts of life, so you either pay to have things fixed, or you buy another extended warranty. To me the extended warranties are useless because the first three years your vehicle is covered anyway. If you haven’t had any internal engine or trans problems then I don’t think you will as long as you keep the vehicle serviced as required. If you feel you need another extended warranty then get one. If not, then pay to fix things as they break.

I had over $15K worth of parts/labor under my extended warranty between 78-100K miles. The warranty was included under the same $700 charge as CPO, which got me a full set of brand new Pirellis before the truck rolled off the lot. Those same tires were down to the wear bars in less than half their rated mileage, so I got a full set of Michelins for $250 after prorate. I wouldn't pay the $4K my mom paid for her extended warranty, but if I can pick one up for $700 again, I'm in.