Help, will new Expy w/HD tow 287Qbs safely?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shicing

Reaction score
Thanks for all the previous suggestion when I was buying the Expy 2020. I bought one expedition Max 2020 with heavy towing package, attached the details here. 9000lbs towing capacity, 3.73 axle rate.

I have been reading and learning from the forum and YouTube, there are different voices regarding the full size SUV towing, someone suggested to tow less than 6k lbs and shorter than 25feet trailer, and there are a lot of ppl towing up to 8500lbs and 35 feet trailer.

As a first time tower , need help to check if my new Maxie ( my daughter called Expy nickname) can tow this trailer ( Bullet, 287QBS, end to end 33 feet) safely? We have a family of 5, 2 adults (300lbs in total) and 3 kids ( 150lbs) in total.

Thank you so much!!!
d1693e32b4b4efeb7c00191cc5ca1a2e.jpg6d42d05c62e77fe3013f3a21e827b521.jpgf4d77e75d97ba4efd978bb9148320308.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
S

shicing

Reaction score
Btw, it is 4×4

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes. Use a good WDH with sway control.
What he said. Based on my own calculations anything longer than 25 feet will definitely be more prone to sway so avoiding that and making sure your weight is balanced properly will be crucial.

Ryeguy44

Reaction score
I rented this travel trailer recently for a trip with my two sons. Aspen trail le 26bh. 30' total length and about the same weights as the 287qbs you posted above. Since it was a rental with hitch, we weren't able to fine tune the WDH to our vehicle so the rear end sagged a little more than I cared for. Towing wise, it pulled with power to spare for sure. I did feel it a bit with a crosswind, especially when a semi passed but nothing crazy. It had a curt round bar WDH with sway control. Kept it below 65mph. This picture is with only about 100lbs of payload in the expedition before we got in. I purchased these helper springs and plan on installing them before we do it again.

https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspension/Ford/Expedition/2020/CSS-1168.html?VehicleID=20205001928

20200913_123721.jpeg

Greg Coleman

Reaction score
Both of the above suggestions should be taken as gospel. The other thing I will put in here is maintenance. "Both of the vehicles are new!" you say? Yes, but proper tire pressures, making sure the trailer hubs and brakes are right, making sure "Maxie" gets fluid changes, brakes and shocks looked over WAY more frequently than they otherwise might, all will play a role in these big investments still operating "Like New" years from now. That trailer is at the upper end of the scale, so be vigilant.
What part of the country are you planning to tow through? Nebraska paints a whole different picture than Colorado!

UTEngineer

Reaction score
Our 2017 Ford Expedition EL Limited (heavy duty trailering package comes standard) pulls a Keystone Cougar 29BHSWE.

34.5 feet long (front hitch ball connection to tail end of trailer)
9,000 lbs loaded (7,000 lbs empty)

Items that I installed to do this safely:

1. Weight distribution hitch w/ anti-sway (brand = Equal-i-zer)

2. Tires - 8-ply - higher load rating (stock = 4 ply)

3. Overload coil spring inserts - SumoSprings (+30% payload capacity)

4. Sway Bars - Larger Diameter - Front & Rear - Hellwig (+30% increased stiffness to reduce body roll)

5. Hypertech Programmer - tow tune (improved engine torque management and transmission shift points)

The weight distribution hitch with sway control is mandatory over 6,000 lbs in my opinion (and Ford’s recommendation as well).

Most people don’t realize the stock tires are only 4-ply passenger-rated tires, which are commonly the lowest capacity tow-restricting item on the vehicle. Replacing the stock tires with at least a 6-ply LT tire will greatly improve the safety of your vehicle when towing and drastically reduce your chances of having a tire blowout at highway speeds. Plus I guarantee you will notice that your vehicle feels more stable thanks to less flex in the sidewall of the tire.

The overload coil spring inserts are also a mandatory item depending on the tongue weight of the trailer, the weight of gear in the back of the Expedition, and the weight of your passengers. The rear suspension on these Expeditions was designed for a soft ride even when unloaded, which inherently reduces the payload capacity of the rear suspension. So unless you want the rear suspension bottoming out on bumps and your steering having a floating feeling because your front end is pointed up in the air thanks to improper front-to-back weight distribution ... I highly recommend adding the overload coil spring inserts.

The sway bars are a double bonus. They will help your Expedition feel stable when towing, assist you by better resisting a sway situation, and better handling when cornering (loaded or unloaded) which will reduce outside front tire wear as well.

As for the programmer and tow tune ... probably not necessary. I add this because it is easier on our Expedition’s drivetrain thanks to better engine torque management and transmission shift points, but it also engages the radiator cooling fan at a lower temperature improving coolant management.

This is only what I do to improve the safety of our Expedition EL Limited when towing our heavy travel trailer, which is right at the maximum towing capacity when fully loaded for camping.

Hopefully this gives you some ideas for improving your setup.

Last edited: