Help with new 275/55R20 tires after towing blowout

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crosscountry08

Reaction score
Interestingly enough I just talked to my shop today about LT Load Range E for my 08 Expy. First time towing with it (only had it a year now) always had 1 tons but the family got to big, then the DOG so is what it is. I always ran 80psi in back and 60 up front when towing any weight, and unloaded I run 50psi. Yes I adjust my pressure alot. Never have an issue, and never paid mind to the ride because when your pulling thru this country comfort doesn't matter functionality does. I towed from Mass to the Dakotas and Wyoming regularly without issue. I am getting Terra Grappler G2 as I have always towed with them (originals) without issue. Shop told me they are stronger than before been about 5 years since I had some. Just my thoughts be safe.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interestingly enough I just talked to my shop today about LT Load Range E for my 08 Expy. First time towing with it (only had it a year now) always had 1 tons but the family got to big, then the DOG so is what it is. I always ran 80psi in back and 60 up front when towing any weight, and unloaded I run 50psi. Yes I adjust my pressure alot. Never have an issue, and never paid mind to the ride because when your pulling thru this country comfort doesn't matter functionality does. I towed from Mass to the Dakotas and Wyoming regularly without issue. I am getting Terra Grappler G2 as I have always towed with them (originals) without issue. Shop told me they are stronger than before been about 5 years since I had some. Just my thoughts be safe.
Some people do run the rears at 80 psi with LT's and that is actually where they are the strongest and track the best. I had a blowout at 70 psi and it sounded like a shotgun went off outside and it blew a 6" hole in the middle of the tread and all the steel was hanging out but it was a recap so I am totally done with recaps and advise everyone not to ever run them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Cotay

Reaction score

You running 18's on that '08? The 275/55R20 in the Terra Grappler G2 is an XL and not an E.

So far we are very happy with the Cooper AT3 XL. At 50 psi the ride is just as smooth as any of the XL tires we've had and my wife is very happy so far. I'll be towing in a few weeks and will report back how they do.

crosscountry08

Reaction score
I have not put on 10 ply yet within the next 6 to 8 weeks I will. Right now there are some nitto crosstek from the previous owner Ive only had it a year. If I cant get nittos in range E, I will get something else. I towed home my new camper few weeks ago it was ok, but I need that solid tire feeling not the squishy one the XL gives. BTW I have 20 inch rims as well

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have not put on 10 ply yet within the next 6 to 8 weeks I will. Right now there are some nitto crosstek from the previous owner Ive only had it a year. If I cant get nittos in range E, I will get something else. I towed home my new camper few weeks ago it was ok, but I need that solid tire feeling not the squishy one the XL gives. BTW I have 20 inch rims as well
Actually 2 ply but some are 3.

Menard LaDouche

Reaction score
Hercules 10 ply, load range E, the "Terra Trac AT 2" is a great tire to check out. Costs a little less, 60,000 mile guarantee, and is very popular in Nevada on the mining roads, for good reason. Our party recently had 31 or 32 flats on an 8 day expedition in our group of 9 vehicles - not one was mine. I'm on my second set because I like them. You can run them to 80 psi, but after a chalk test, I run mine at 32 when empty. Tire shops and dealers always fill them full,

OP
OP
C

Cotay

Reaction score
Hercules 10 ply, load range E, the "Terra Trac AT 2" is a great tire to check out. Costs a little less, 60,000 mile guarantee, and is very popular in Nevada on the mining roads, for good reason. Our party recently had 31 or 32 flats on an 8 day expedition in our group of 9 vehicles - not one was mine. I'm on my second set because I like them. You can run them to 80 psi, but after a chalk test, I run mine at 32 when empty. Tire shops and dealers always fill them full,

Unfortunately, the Hercules Terra Trac AT 2 in a 275/55R20 is an XL and not 10 ply E rated. So far, the only one I've seen in the wild is the Cooper.

You running 18's on that '08? The 275/55R20 in the Terra Grappler G2 is an XL and not an E.

So far we are very happy with the Cooper AT3 XL. At 50 psi the ride is just as smooth as any of the XL tires we've had and my wife is very happy so far. I'll be towing in a few weeks and will report back how they do.

As a follow up, the Coopers did amazing! The experience with most XL tires was one of vague control at highway speeds. The Coopers were absolutely stable and exhibited none of the wavy wobble that fully inflated XL tires provide. It was like we weren't towing. The added bonus is that the ride when not towing is just a nice as the XL tires they replaced and there is no greater noise. So far I'm sold, so if these hold up I've found the tires we'll continue to use for the life of the vehicle. I ran 55 psi front/68 psi rear when towing and I'm going to leave them there for daily driving.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Unfortunately, the Hercules Terra Trac AT 2 in a 275/55R20 is an XL and not 10 ply E rated. So far, the only one I've seen in the wild is the Cooper.

As a follow up, the Coopers did amazing! The experience with most XL tires was one of vague control at highway speeds. The Coopers were absolutely stable and exhibited none of the wavy wobble that fully inflated XL tires provide. It was like we weren't towing. The added bonus is that the ride when not towing is just a nice as the XL tires they replaced and there is no greater noise. So far I'm sold, so if these hold up I've found the tires we'll continue to use for the life of the vehicle. I ran 55 psi front/68 psi rear when towing and I'm going to leave them there for daily driving.

I would advise against running same inflation when not towing. I did this on my last set of tires and wore out the center of the tread. I wound up having to replace the tire prematurely.

MAC1

Reaction score
I switched to Sumitomo Encounter “E” rated tires, run them at 55/60 when not towing and at 80PSI when towing, they are a great tire. Ford does its customers a disservice by not installing E rated tires on the HD tow package.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I switched to Sumitomo Encounter “E” rated tires, run them at 55/60 when not towing and at 80PSI when towing, they are a great tire. Ford does its customers a disservice by not installing E rated tires on the HD tow package.
They would rather have a smoother ride and save some money also. My Excursion did come with E rated tires but they were cheap and eventually recalled.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire