Hey everyone! Travel trailer question..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dune ...also meant to say "closer" is all relative man. Utah is nothin'. I just bought my '19 Expy up in Kemmerer, Wyoming and drove it back to the Phoenix area. We flew to Ogden ...the dealership picked us up there and drove us the 2-hours to Kemmerer/Diamondville and we took a day-and-a-half to get it home (had a stay-over in Beaver, Utah).

If you're serious, LMK. Like I said, I have the wife's interest piqued in upgrading and my RV dealer has a new Lance 2445 showing-up in a month. If "the boss" signs-up, I'm either selling or trading the Jayco X23E in.

I'm probably not ready to do anything about trailers for a couple years. Ours is getting old but works fine and we are building a house right now so new trailers aren't in the picture at the moment. But if you still have it in a couple years I would certainly be interested.

Wayne Decker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've only towed my 6600lb (7300 max, but 6600 for us loaded to travel) 25' Airstream a few times with the Expedition but it handles it well.

Actual hitch weight depends on how you load the trailer. I only travel with my wife, two dogs, two bikes and some other stuff in the vehicle. Proper set up is key. It's not hard to do but does take some time.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

FeelsBradMan

Reaction score
We have a payload of 1603 if I recall correctly. There are six of us so with cargo we're at about 1000. Doesn't leave much for hitch weight.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We have a payload of 1603 if I recall correctly. There are six of us so with cargo we're at about 1000. Doesn't leave much for hitch weight.

We just make sure to not put cargo in the expedition and keep it all in the trailer. Other than snacks and stuff we don't have much else in the expedition when we tow.

Greg Parker

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Brad, I know that the towing guidelines are 900-930# max tongue-weight (with HD package), but I'm of the opinion that a WDH that is a little over-sized can help that a little bit. My camper has 620# of tongue weight and I barely notice it at all (except from an overall towing weight perspective). I got the Husky "Straight Line TS" and I oversized my weight distribution bars. Rather than get the ones rated for 600-800#, I opted for the ones that are 800-1000# ...and I'm glad I did. It's important to remember that the manufacturers rate their tongue weight empty. So, by the time you put anything in the camper in front of the trailer axles ...add a couple of batteries ...and two full propane tanks ...it's gonna be more than they state in the camper specs.

Sooo. Honestly, I can't remember if it was this thread or another, but I have stated a time or two, I don't think I personally would go over 7000# GVWR on a camper ...which translates to 700-800# of tongue weight. Driving a safe speed (65mph or less) ...I wouldn't worry too much. If you're not comfortable with it, have a your RV joint setup a tune a WDH for you. They make all the difference in the world and take 35-50% of the tongue weight off of the axles.

There are a TON of decently-sized campers that fit that mold. The last thing I've mentioned is getting tires that are better than the typical "maybe they last 40K miles" factory shoes that every vehicle manufacturer puts on their brand new cars. I will be upgrading to the Cooper Discoverer AT3-4S in my tire size (285/45R22) probably sooner than the expected life of the factory shoes. They are rated for more weight and speed ...and are 12-ply tires. PLENTY for slightly oversized loads.

I would just add ...again ...that the key is to maintain a safe speed and be ready to slow-down to 25-45mph on steeper grades to keep trans fluid temps down outta the yellow/red zone.

ETC13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IMO for six of you full time in an RV I would ditch the thought of using the expedition for such. You are rapidly going to find that you will want more space than any trailer the expedition is going to handle for extended stay in an RV.

I have a Forest River Grey Wolf 26DJSE which has bunks in the back a full time couch and a queen size bed. Longest we have done is two weeks with 2 dogs, 2 kids and the wife and myself.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Greg Parker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IMO for six of you full time in an RV I would ditch the thought of using the expedition for such. You are rapidly going to find that you will want more space than any trailer the expedition is going to handle for extended stay in an RV.

I have a Forest River Grey Wolf 26DJSE which has bunks in the back a full time couch and a queen size bed. Longest we have done is two weeks with 2 dogs, 2 kids and the wife and myself.

I said it already ...but I think it's possible. There are two situations ...I have found some sub-8500 GVWR ultra-lite campers that actually have a completely isolated bunkhouse (from the kitchen / living) and have 4 single-size bunks (one is usually a small convertible, 2-person dinette). Personally, I think I could "glamp" all summer long ...or longer ...if I had that kind of setup, and with the front "master bedroom."

I would bring my 10'x14' screen tent and outdoor kitchen and strategically setup on the KOA / Good Sam's camp spot. Throw-in a good collapsible dog fence, and it would be doable for extended period of time. That's not to say I wouldn't want to also do some dry-camping / boon-docking, but those stays would obviously have to be contained to 5-7 days, depending on fresh water / grey water / black water capacities.

Out of all of the "economy models" that I have looked at, the Forest River Apex 300BHS is quite roomy (but obviously "cheap"). I wish Lance made a 26-28' camper, but I'm in the middle of considering a Lance 2445.

ETC13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I said it already ...but I think it's possible. There are two situations ...I have found some sub-8500 GVWR ultra-lite campers that actually have a completely isolated bunkhouse (from the kitchen / living) and have 4 single-size bunks (one is usually a small convertible, 2-person dinette). Personally, I think I could "glamp" all summer long ...or longer ...if I had that kind of setup, and with the front "master bedroom."

I would bring my 10'x14' screen tent and outdoor kitchen and strategically setup on the KOA / Good Sam's camp spot. Throw-in a good collapsible dog fence, and it would be doable for extended period of time. That's not to say I wouldn't want to also do some dry-camping / boon-docking, but those stays would obviously have to be contained to 5-7 days, depending on fresh water / grey water / black water capacities.

Out of all of the "economy models" that I have looked at, the Forest River Apex 300BHS is quite roomy (but obviously "cheap"). I wish Lance made a 26-28' camper, but I'm in the middle of considering a Lance 2445.
With six of them total and all the stuff that kids would have???

OP
OP
F

FeelsBradMan

Reaction score
This thread actually turned me on to the Lance brand. I hadn't looked at any of their options. The 2455 fits what we need weight wise but obviously we'd like something a little longer with a dedicated couch.

The only problem in finding a trailer that would work for us was the hitch weight. The hitch weight puts us over max payload if it goes over 600lbs and any of the dedicated bunks are like 700 to 750 if not more. From what I understand if we're over payload even a little it could lead to insurance claim problems and even worse I dont want to endanger anyone, least of all my family.

Believe me, if I didn't have to eat 10k by trading in this Expedition, we would be looking at a 5th wheel and a new truck. (We bought this last year before the full time idea came around) Love the Expedition, just wish it had a bit more payload.