Hheeeelllpppp!!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigred-262002

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals

I’m a newbie here an I have been searching this form looking for some help. I have a 2006 Expedition with the wonderful 5.4l 3V. Friday when I got home I started it up to head out an it was running like crap. So I figured since it has 115000 miles on it that it’s time for a tune up. Well you know where this going I bet lol. Let’s just out of 8 plugs 1 came out in 1 peace. The other 6 broke off. So I went and got the tool needed to pull the bottom on the plug out. It worked great on the 1st one. Not so much on the 2nd one. So all in all 1 plug came out whole. 6 plugs came out with the tool. Number 8 cylinder is still in there. I called around and dealership down the road said they have never found one that they couldn’t get out. Ha until now $110 later it’s back into the garage with it the same way. They wanted $1750.00 just to get started on pulling the head and fixing it. Umm hells no. So now that I’m starting not be able to feel my fingers from typing let me ask this. Does any of you fine man or women know of a way to remove that little pain in my but so I don’t have to pull the head off this thing? I know there is most likely hundreds of post on here about this but for some reason I can’t find any so sorry for the repeat post. Remember I’m new …. :angels2:

ArtGamer60

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OUCH ! so that would be the one way back there tucked under the firewall , nice probably don't have a good angle to get at it , not sure if there is a way out of not pulling the head ...

OP
OP
B

bigred-262002

Reaction score
Yep. The number 8 but i will say this its really not that hard to get too. Just have to find a way to get in there to get it out.

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you tried getting another tool? Maybe after the other 7 extractions, the teeth on the old tool is worn.. Dunno.. Maybe if you can get your hands on a borescope that could give you a better ideal why it is failing..

MVS3610WW 10MM FLEX IBLE VIDEO SCOPE

Otherwise.. Sorry.. I have yet to change my plugs..

:head3:

OP
OP
B

bigred-262002

Reaction score
Yeah i borrowed another from a shop down the road an it was new plus the dealer tried 2 different ones an no luck. I was hoping someone the same problem an had a different way to remove it. Good luck when you do.

mindgame

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe this as a last resort... brake clean the area down at the plug with brake clean..
Then sacrifice the extraction tool by adding alittle epoxy or JB weld into the part that is suppose grab the plug.. Let it fully cure... The try and carefully extract again..

Dunno.. This is just an idea.. I really dont know all the info of your situation.. but.. we are brainstorming right?
:head3:

ArtGamer60

Full Access Members
Reaction score
+1 thats a thought , nice how they have a removal tool ? to remove a broken plug ? don't know if I like the sound of that .

Last edited:

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is the tool just not grabbing? Or is the plug frozen in there? If it's frozen maybe you can spray a bunch of PB Blaster down the hole to loosen it up.

Misspelling brought to you by Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

bigred-262002

Reaction score
I thought about the jb weld but its so far down there i was worried that it would weld the part to the head. Its grabbing a little still just not enough to pull it. I tried PB blaster nuts off WD40 an carb cleaner still nothing. I was thinking about getting a long tap an see if that grabs any better but not sure how to pull up on it to get out.