Hitch ball mount, keep on or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here is a dumb question.

I have been thinking of keeping my tow ball mount (locked of course) on my truck.

We have some pretty dumb dumb drivers in Houston. I was thinking a slow motion rear ender could minimize any damage. I'm not really worried about due to full coverage but if it effs up their bumper and spares me I'm GTG.

If it's higher impact I could expect possible frame damage, but then the truck is likely a loss.

OP
OP
RichardH

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, anything's better than nothing. These bumpers won't stop a grocery cart, let alone a minor fender bender. They're just foam reinforced plastic. Front or back.

Plati

Reaction score
OP
OP
RichardH

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rather lengthy previous thread on that .... there were others also
https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/so-what-do-yall-think-of-my-custom-rear-guard.30631/

my opinion ... (who cares though) a rear end collision on your hitch will transfer a lot of energy to the frame and can potentially increase whiplash like injuries to occupants. i value health over other things like vehicle damage ($$$$)

I hear you loud and clear.

I was in a accident years ago doing a good deed - taking the wife's car for some new tires. While stopped, I was rear ended on the 5 fwy by a distracted soccer mom (she was doing 60mph). Messed me up. I had lower back problems and suffered cranial nerve palsy iii (effects the movement of the eye) when my head was hit into the headrest.

I think I'll still fabricate a guard. Sounds like fun. I'm a certified welder. I look for other mounting points other than the receiver though

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Rich, I really doubt you can top this:

Prove me wrong. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do.

20161027_142545-jpg.18179

OP
OP
RichardH

RichardH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Rich, I really doubt you can top this:

Prove me wrong. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do.

20161027_142545-jpg.18179

That thing almost looks illegal, lol. I'd probably paint it sunburst gold if I go that route.

I'll be sure to update .

larryjb

Reaction score
Rather lengthy previous thread on that .... there were others also
https://www.expeditionforum.com/threads/so-what-do-yall-think-of-my-custom-rear-guard.30631/

my opinion ... (who cares though) a rear end collision on your hitch will transfer a lot of energy to the frame and can potentially increase whiplash like injuries to occupants. i value health over other things like vehicle damage ($$$$)

I had thought about this too.

Remember, the rear bumper has foam/plastic for a reason. It will absorb crash forces before they transfer to the frame. Saves your neck and back, and also can save your frame. A bumper guard takes away from this protection.

Also, don't forget that your truck is almost 20 years old. I've got a 2008 Explorer and 2002 Tahoe. A bumper can be had from a wrecker if it's damaged enough. With its age, I'm not concerned about a few scratches here and there. Even if the frame got a little bent in the rear, as long as the doors still close and the alignment remains good I'd keep mine.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junker