How Do I Tell if my CV Axle is Bad and On What Side of my 2003 Eddie Bauer 4WD??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nalajr

Reaction score
Hey all,

It's been a while since I've been here. I've had some health problems that I have been dealing with for the better part of a year. Now I'm doing well and ready to get back to trying to fix my Expedition. I'd like some advice and input from you guys that know far more than I ever will, if you don't mind.

Just FYI...I am NOT a car guy. I've never worked on cars or fixed cars and don't know a whole lot about them under the hood. Last year I did my first job on my 2003 Expedition by changing out the front brake pads and I was pretty darned impressed with myself. I had never ever done something like that.

OK...here's my situation.
About 18 months ago my sister was driving my Expedition and she swerved over into the right hand land and had an accident. The body damage was minimal on my vehicle except for the passenger fender, which I found a replacement online and installed it on mine.
About a week later I started hearing a distinctive popping sound when I would go over a small speed bump or pull into a parking lot that had a slight incline to the entrance way. It seemed to be on the same side as the accident, the passenger front, but lately it has kinda been sounding like it's in the center and then sometimes it might sound like it's over on the drivers side. SO...it's all over the place and I don't know how to tell which one is bad and if it's not bad, what is causing the popping? It doesn't do it when just driving down the road. I don't hear a thing.
Also when I try to switch to 4AWD, the dash board icon doesn't illuminate and it won't go into AWD or any other of the 4WD modes. I tried it last year and felt a rhythmic thumping sound from the front passenger side. I got out to listen more closely to see if I could pinpoint the source and as I moved closer to the tire, it got a bit more pronounced. I put my hand on the front passenger tire and I could feel what seemed like a small hammer was striking it on the inner surface about 2 times per second. I thought about it and guessed that it is the 4WD ACTUATOR trying to lock in the right front to put it in AWD mode. What do you think?

My vehicle is a 2003 Eddie Bauer Expedition, 5.4, with 4WD.

I've been watching videos on how to change out a CV Axle and I think I can do it. The problem is that it will be tough for me and my back doing it on the ground since I don't have a lift, or access to one. I haven't bought the parts yet cause I wanted to ask you guys and see what you thought about this situation.
I have found that new CV Axles are about $60 each for generic replacement parts and about $150 for the Motorcraft replacement part. I don't know if it needs one replaced or both. I'm hoping you all can tell me how I can tell if it's bad and needs replacing.

If you can help me out in ANY way I would greatly appreciate it. I need all the help I can get cause I am basically a lost ball in some VERY HIGH WEEDS here. It would be such a huge burden lifted off of me if I can get this car fixed where I can trust it on a long trip. This issue is the only thing right now that's preventing that from happening.
If I do end up having to replace both of them I'll have to get the parts at one of the auto stores that lets you borrow tools cause I don't have stuff to do this kinda thing.

Thank you all kindly for your time and any help you decide to give me.
Hope you all have a great Sunday!
Larry

P.S. I am in the Houston area and if anyone else is in this area and knows of a place that I could maybe "rent" space on a lift for an hour, that would be extremely helpful to me. I don't know if there is such a place, but I thought I'd ask anyway.

rwengr

Reaction score
First, carefully inspect the boot and if they are leaking oil, they need replace or rebuild. You will need a slide hammer with axle pull accessory to get it off. Save the old retainer clips in case new ones wont go in. Extremely important: You must have the right clips. It may be a lot easier to just disconnect steering knuckle from the strut instead of trying to get axle out of the wheel hub with a special tool. Only did this once. For installation I held axle straight with one hand and hit it with a hard rubber mallet to get it in. Very hard to push in. Extremely important: You must be certain the clip is in.