Horse Power to Tow

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MyNewExpy

Reaction score
Hey guys....our Scout troop has an enclosed trailer that is double tandem axle, trailer brakes and weighs about 4,000 pounds when it's fully loaded with our guys gear and all. We mostly travel on the highways when we go so it's not like through the moountains or anything.

My Expy is an 03 EB 4X4 with HD Towing package. Our Scout master said he was concerned about the horse power of mine, not being a lot to pull the trailer. It has the 5.4L engine, 260 HP....why would he be concerned with the horse power when it can tow 8900 lbs? I just want to have something to go back at him with when it's time to pull it.

Thanks for your thoughts...

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You'll have no problem pulling the trailer. Not that it matters here, but tell your Scout Master that torque is the key factor in towing. :favorites13:

BTW, my '06 has 300 HP, and it towed 6000+ lbs for the last 5 summers.

Last edited:

Big White

Full Access Members
Reaction score
350 ft lbs. Rated to tow 8900 lbs if 2wd, HD tow, and 3.73 axle. Tell the master to recite the pledge 100 times while caressing your tow ball.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Haha my old troop had a similar type of trailer, and it was a big deal when my truck WASN'T available to pull it. Everyone drove small cars and half-size pickups except my family, where we have two expy's. You will be just fine.

OP
OP
M

MyNewExpy

Reaction score
That's about the way it is here...we have 3 of us that can pull the trailer and we take turns doing it. I was pulling it with my wife's Nissan Armada so I finally got me the Expy so I won't have to ask for hers.

The Scoutmaster has an 04' GMC Yukon Denali and I guess he feels his is more superior...haha

I figured with the HD Tow package and it being 4x4 with the 5.4L engine, I didn't think it would be any trouble....you guys are awesome. Thanks for the encourgement.

whowey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did the same thing as you... I bought my Expy in part to tow trailers vs. using my Grand Cherokee. I found that my '01 EB with the tow package will tow our troop's trailer (roughly the same stats as yours, ours is a touch heavier) much easier than the other ASM's Denali. He complains the trailer is all over the road on him and pushes really badly at stops. Our trailer has surge brakes which I'm not thrilled with, but it is what it is. I don't feel like the trailer pushes me on the road at all, and not on stops either. He may be misunderstanding the feeling that surge brakes give, but he is happy I am willing to tow the trailer now.

whowey

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A much larger part of towing than torque(HP is for race cars... torque is what trucks need) is the ability to keep the trailer under control. Physical size of the vehicle is part of that. A larger heavier vehicle will be able to keep an identical trailer more under control than a smaller one.

Wheelbase, overall length and weight of the vehicle all factor into the control of the trailer. All of those factors are in the Expedition's favor. Yes, the specs might show the Denali 6.0 having more max torque. I would much rather torque down lower in the RPM band like the Expedition. 3450 rpm vs. 4000 rpm for the Denali.