Hot air conditioning!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

red-russian1

Reaction score
On vacation, 90+ degrees outside and A/C quit. Back in February, the compressor locked up and blew the belt. Local repair shop fixed it for $900. Supposedly replaced everything, including new hoses and flushed the system. The clutch isn't engaging right now and pressures were in the normal range when checked about a month ago.
Any ideas when we're 20+ hrs from home?

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the fuse for the ac compressor first. Pressures last month don't mean anything, what they are right now does.

OP
OP
R

red-russian1

Reaction score
Just checked the fuse and it's good. Had a new relay in the glovebox so switched that out. Next stop is Walmart for a can of freon.

OP
OP
R

red-russian1

Reaction score
Don't have any gauges. Tried adding freon through a gauge-less can tap but clutch still won't engage. Possibly a bad high pressure switch? It does have freon in the system.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I'd stop in a garage or an auto parts store that lends tools and borrow gauges or get those pressures read. Then you can know what you're dealing with. If the pressure's low, all the parts in the world aren't going to help you.

OP
OP
R

red-russian1

Reaction score
Well, more shtf. We were going along down the interstate about 80 mph and we could start to smell what we thought was a brake burning or clutch slipping. Thought maybe it was one of the OTR semis around us. All of the sudden, we had smoke bellowing out the dash vents! Pulled over quick and shut the fan off just as it made a big racket when it came to a stop. I'm pretty sure the blower motor is toast now also.
And as far as checking the pressures, the clutch does not engage so the compressor is not turning. I'm not sure if it's possible to jump the clutch but we used to do it about 20 yrs ago in order to get an empty system to draw in freon without pulling it into a vacuum.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The static pressure will give you an idea of the refrigerant level in the system. System isn't running for that reading.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hope that your day wasn't destroyed by lack of AC...I know what a pain that can be while on a trip. I'm no car ac guy but as a HVAC/plmg contractor, I have a little understanding. If the fuses/switches checked out, I would have done the same thing, you aren't hurting anything now because it's not running....but the mech will check this we hope. If your clutch didn't engage even with the charge you are at the end of my suggestions BUT I've seen elect connections go bad check the component connections.

You won't believe this but I had Spectacular luck with Pep boys of all places. They found my non-starting '03 was a 10 buck relay....honesty in spades!

jeff

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some of our best athletes, Football/Baseball, were found by highschool coaches!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk