How do I remove cladding?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey guys I know this was probably already answered or might be general knowledge or easy to do with a rivet puller or something but cladding on my 06 XLT appears to be uncoupled or hanging off on both the drivers and passengers side door corners (see pics) I was wondering how I could go about reattaching these panels so they fit correctly and flush with the body again... If anyone has a write-up on the *correct way as to how to remove the cladding trim panels then feel free to send the link.
Any help is greatly appreciated as I'm trying to fix all the previous owner's mistakes and problems/issues...
Thanks5347104ec0fcb6520536d47b6b2a3fe3.jpg3528623fe784cc14c150f330db8e034f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You have to pull up and out on the cladding. Hard to do without scratching the pain. I'm going to attach a picture of the fastener so you can get a better idea of what to do. Basically you need to get the fastener out of the trim rather than removing the trim with the fasteners all at once.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 188

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fastener

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 138

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fastener attached in trim

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    97.2 KB · Views: 181
OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fastener attached in trim

Thank you very much.. Mine hangs off so much I can see this fastener in between the trim and door so that hopefully won't be too hard... Should I pick up one those prying tools?

Also I'll post some pics once I get mine off

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you remove the interior door trim panel, is it possible to push these fasteners out from the inside in order to remove the cladding without scratching the paint?

OP
OP
Gruz7

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you remove the interior door trim panel, is it possible to push these fasteners out from the inside in order to remove the cladding without scratching the paint?

X2 on that

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Removing the interior door panel will not gain access to the clips. It has to be removed from the outside.

There is a multi-purpose tool kit made by OTC that Ford recommends - you can get it on Amazon for $20. OTC-4489. Ford recommended it in their TSB for panel fading, which also suggests tape along the body to prevent scratching when you remove the panel.

I'll also add that when I google the 4-door cladding repair kit part numbers mentioned below, I am shocked at how cheap they are. 4L1Z-78465K00-AAA for example. So not sure whats up with that or what the part number actually includes. Here is the TSB I spoke of:

Printable View (8 KB)
TSB
04-17-7 EXTERIOR DOOR TRIM MOULDINGS FADING - TITANIUM AND PLATINUM ONLY

Publication Date: August 20, 2004

FORD: 2003-2004 Expedition

ISSUE:
Some 2003-2004 Expedition XLT vehicles, (excluding Eddie Bauer models), built 2/1/2003 to 12/31/2003 may exhibit the front and rear exterior door trim and fender extension moldings (cladding) fading.

ACTION:
Replace all cladding on all four (4) doors and fender extensions. All cladding supplied in the Service Kit must be installed to prevent color mismatch and continued fading.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Clean off the area below the character line and above the cladding. Remove dirt as necessary.
Apply protective tape (minimum width 1") directly above the molding. This will prevent scratches when moving the tool along the cladding to release (pop up) the cladding retaining clips.
NOTE: PAINTING WILL NOT BE APPROVED FOR THIS REPAIR.

Using Trim Removal Tool (OTC-4489), open the door and begin to pop up the nine (9) retaining clips across the top of the cladding and the four (4) across the bottom. Once the cladding has been removed from the body, remove the protective tape.
Install the new part (retaining clips are included on the new part). Repeat the repair on the remaining doors.
Remove the two (2) screws that attach the fender extensions.
NOTE: RETAIN THE SCREWS AS THEY WILL BE REUSED.

Install the new fender extensions reusing the original screws.
Return the vehicle to the customer.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
4L1Z-78465K00-AAA Medium Dark Platinum Cladding Kit
3L1Z-78465K00-AAB Medium Platinum Cladding Kit
3L1Z-78465K00-AAA Medium Titanium Cladding Kit

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
041707A Replace Cladding On All Four Doors And Fender Extensions Eight Pieces Total 1.4 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
7820878 81