How does the chevy outsell?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I drove a couple fords and now have the third in the driveway. I drove one chevy. It isn’t even a contest. I was doing due diligence and trying the market leader(by like 2-1 ratio) out seemed justified. Nothing going on there worth considering. The fixed second row was a deal breaker, along with dvd hanging down in the way of rear view.

Only thing I’ll say for it was the dvd being controlled upfront is a huge plus. Huge. Other than that I don’t think it was better in any way.

how do they keep such market share? I know the 2021 is a big upgrade, but that doesn’t explain the 18-20 outselling like they come with a free bar of gold in the back.

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Repeat buyers the Burb was the gold standard up till 2017. I have three neighbors who just replaced their 3rd yukon/burb with the old 2019 burb. They didn’t even know there was an all new ground up one due out in a few months. Two of them recently rode in my a Platinum Exp and were in complete shock regarding the tech and seating flexibility. They all thought the Exp had a huge V8 lol. I didn’t correct them only mentioned it was 400hp and 10spd. Both said their 19 Yukkn Burb was old news lol.

I nearly bought a 19 Yukon Denali then looked at the Expedition after the GMC dealer refused to deal on sticker price. The Expedition was sooo dramatically better in every way especially the seating both in arrangement and seat quality

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mainly marketing and perception. Ford never rele advertised the expy after the 3rd gens were released in 06/07. Then, to add salt, ford let it flaunder till 15, where they did minor updates. For the longest time, ppl thought the expy wasnt even available, let alone new. When i use to tell ppl about my expy, most then said, "ford still made those, this looks nothing like one!" Also, you cant go around the corner without seeing a gm ute. Noone is rele lookin for the other utes, even on here ppl compared or was prepared to get a gm. No tlk of nissan or toyota. Gms are the quintessential end all be all in this class, no matter how underwhelming they are compared to its contemporaries

larryjb

Reaction score
If Ford made the Expedition slightly shorter, the story could be different. For 2018, the Expedition is 222", the Suburban is 224", and the Tahoe is 204". Many newer homes have smaller garages, and the Expedition may not actually fit (it wouldn't fit in my garage). I don't like so much technology in my vehicles, but that playing field is becoming more even now, and I'm not happy about it. I cannot speak for the Expedition as I have not test driven anything newer than 2010, but the ride quality in our 2008 Explorer is almost too harsh and "sporty" for my preferences. I'm not trying to drive my SUV like a sports car, I don't want it to drive like one either.

That said, I really do like the Explorer before they went unibody. I actually do like the Expedition and almost got one 5 years ago, but I can only afford used ones and all the Expeditions available were so trashed. The seats were all torn up, and in general, the interiors looked worn out. The Tahoe I got was higher mileage, but the interior was in pretty good shape. The V8's of the Expeditions were pushed so far back that any engine work would have been a real pain.

If I were to buy brand new today what would I do? It would be a tossup for me. I might actually get a Tahoe. I like to keep my vehicles until they're sale value is in hundreds of dollars (nearly ready for the junkyard). That means I would have to do some engine work eventually. GM's push rod engine would be easier to work on in that instance. Also, GM's displacement on demand is much improved over 10 years ago. It is like a default V8 that can switch to a V6, and now a V4. Ford's approach has been to use a default V6 and give it the power of a V8 when necessary. On the other hand, the Ford's I have had (1992 Grand Marquis, 2008 Explorer) had fewer engine leaks. That is a big deal for me too. I might get an Expedition next instead.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In a lot of ways, it goes with what you grew up around. A type of brand loyalty, if you must.

My family was a HUGE GM family -- Chevy pickups, Cavaliers, Monte Carlos, 6000STEs, Acadia, various Cadillacs, etc.

There were a few Ford products in the mix, but very few -- 1964 Mustang, 196x T-Bird, 197x Pinto, 1972 Bronco, 1978 Lincoln Mark V Diamond Jubilee.

After I got married, I traded in my Cavalier for a Honda. Drove various ones from 1998 to 2019 when I traded in my Pilot.

Another thing is test drives. What you are upgrading from. Once, my Pilot was in the body shop and I got a Yukon as my rental. In comparison to the Pilot, it was like a dream, IMO. Heads-up display, more room, comfy seats (first row). I really thought I would be going back to a GM after that experience. Then I started getting more serious and doing research. I saw the comments and reviews. The Expy was getting a lot of good feedback. TFL Truck rated it as the SUV of the year. Towing was rated #1. On paper, it met all my needs. Then I started test driving. I felt the Expy "fit" me better. I liked the layout better. I like the ride better. I like the looks better.

In summary, I chose the Expy because it fit all my practical needs, as well as personal requirements in a vehicle. It also fit in the price point, too. ;)

GC2019

Reaction score
No brand loyalty here. It’s more about keeping it fresh.
We’re (wife) is coming out of a Yukon Denali. We probably would have bought another if the 2020 was the redesign year. It wasn’t, so we went different. Next one will probably be another Expy if they refresh. If not, back to GM.

Both have +/-. The GM is better looking. The Ford is currently a better truck.
The Lincoln screams old man. The Tahoe screams plain. The Caddy and Denali are both sexy. The Expy Plat is the only good looking Expy package.JMO.

Last edited:

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s all those “initial quality” commercials that bombarded the airwaves. GM spent a ton of money buying those awards.

Jace

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If Ford made the Expedition slightly shorter, the story could be different. For 2018, the Expedition is 222", the Suburban is 224", and the Tahoe is 204". Many newer homes have smaller garages, and the Expedition may not actually fit (it wouldn't fit in my garage). I don't like so much technology in my vehicles, but that playing field is becoming more even now, and I'm not happy about it. I cannot speak for the Expedition as I have not test driven anything newer than 2010, but the ride quality in our 2008 Explorer is almost too harsh and "sporty" for my preferences. I'm not trying to drive my SUV like a sports car, I don't want it to drive like one either.

That said, I really do like the Explorer before they went unibody. I actually do like the Expedition and almost got one 5 years ago, but I can only afford used ones and all the Expeditions available were so trashed. The seats were all torn up, and in general, the interiors looked worn out. The Tahoe I got was higher mileage, but the interior was in pretty good shape. The V8's of the Expeditions were pushed so far back that any engine work would have been a real pain.

If I were to buy brand new today what would I do? It would be a tossup for me. I might actually get a Tahoe. I like to keep my vehicles until they're sale value is in hundreds of dollars (nearly ready for the junkyard). That means I would have to do some engine work eventually. GM's push rod engine would be easier to work on in that instance. Also, GM's displacement on demand is much improved over 10 years ago. It is like a default V8 that can switch to a V6, and now a V4. Ford's approach has been to use a default V6 and give it the power of a V8 when necessary. On the other hand, the Ford's I have had (1992 Grand Marquis, 2008 Explorer) had fewer engine leaks. That is a big deal for me too. I might get an Expedition next instead.

Don't forget about the standard length Expedition at 210". Not quite as short as the Tahoe, but still a foot shorter than the Expedition Max.

GC2019

Reaction score
It’s all those “initial quality” commercials that bombarded the airwaves. GM spent a ton of money buying those awards.
Say what you want, but GM rules the SUV market, and deserves to. Top notch products IMO.
I’ve owned several Tahoe’s and Yukon Denali trucks.

Ford stood totally pat on the Expy for years until 2018. Talk about stale bread..
Not only has GM redesigned and updated regularly, but they have built a far superior SUV until now.
But, “now” may not last more that 2 years. The new Caddy is far and away more impressive than the Nav, and the new Denali will outsell the Expy plat easily.