How hard is it to get my spark plugs out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Wiped Cam

Full Access Members
Reaction score
7126Kl4R-GL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

You need this guy if you don't have much experience tinkering with your Expy. Gets the job done in 30 minutes. It can take a brutal amount of torque too. I recently did plugs on a 2014 that had 127k on the original units. This SOB took all the torque I threw at the plugs like a champ...and without any lube!

Only hard part of the job is probably going to be figuring out a way to not lose the retaining bolt for the rear driver side coil while taking it out or putting it back in. That's it!

Last edited:

762mm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That extended socket makes the job a cinch. Can't beat it. Found mine on Ebay.

They do, but they're expensive for something that you'll use so rarely. One of the best ones is the GearWrench 14mm flex socket, made specifically for the Ford 5.4L. It has a magnetic spark plug retainer, which is the best feature (vs competition).

I was gonna buy one off Amazon, but then I tried to use my various sized 3/8 extensions and found the perfect combination. If I recall correctly, the 8" or 10" extension + a standard 14mm spark plug socket combined with my low-profile flex ratchet worked great on my 5.4L 3v... it provided just enough reach and clearance to do the job.

The rear plugs on both banks are by far the biggest PITA. They were torqued down quite hard too and I had to put a lot of elbow grease to get them out.

;)

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You don’t need swivels or fancy contraptions all though I’m sure they help. All you need is a medium and a small extension for your socket set. Set the larger extension down the plug well first then click on the ratchet for the back two. If you need more clearance that’s what the little extension is for. I didn’t use any swivels for my 2007. You just have to unclip those two little vacuum lines to the right if you forego the swivel.....about 30 extra seconds lol.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks everyone, I’ll put the breaker bar on it.

Holy crap, yikes! ALUMINIUM......think; soft, like brass......be gentle my friend.....JE knows better then most....but I'm pretty sure he isn't suggesting cheater bars<LOL>!!

All in fun, I know you know this stuff or you wouldn't be casual about it.....

jeff

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You don’t need swivels or fancy contraptions all though I’m sure they help. All you need is a medium and a small extension for your socket set. Set the larger extension down the plug well first then click on the ratchet for the back two. If you need more clearance that’s what the little extension is for. I didn’t use any swivels for my 2007. You just have to unclip those two little vacuum lines to the right if you forego the swivel.....about 30 extra seconds lol.
I agree, Ebay sells those like hotcakes because everybody thinks it's what they need. I did buy a 9/16" genuine spark plug socket for $5 just because I didn't have the rubber goody inside that grabs the tip on any of my deep wells. My Excursion had deeper holes in the heads and I put a piece of duct tape around the bottom inside edge of the socket that held the plugs. I have also given my 5/8" deep well socket a shot of super 77 3M adhesive before pulling plugs also (they both worked fine). The magnetic sockets are a bunch of hype also. Try the adhesive if you don't have a genuine plug socket.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OP
OP
T

tgams

Reaction score
Wow! lots of great tips! I have the 5/8" gearwrench sparkplug socket that swivels, and has the magnet...I was thinking the plugs were metric though, so i'll probably just use a metric deep well and a piece of fuel line to pull them out.(and put them back too) Yeah the dealer wants like getting close to a grand for a 100,000 mile tune up..I can't even see spending that much to do something I can do myself and know it's done right. I really really appreciate all the excellent tips guys, you don't even know how much help you've been.