How long will my expedition last?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Oceantrav

Reaction score
Picked up a 2004 expedition with 208,000 miles the other day for $2,100. Got it from the original owner

Bought it to tow a 7x16 enclosed trailer to motocross tracks around me. Put about 500 miles on it so far and has ran great.

Issues so far: cracked wind shield, DVD player doesn't work, vibrates a little over 70mph, and guy said AC compressor is bad works fine but when the AC is on its loud, he gave me a new one and said he's been waiting for it to go out before replacing it, said its been 3 years so far and it still works.

Anyways, so how long do these cars usually last? I got it to just use on the weekends towing, but now I'm considering selling my car and driving the expedition daily. It's just the miles scare me

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
they last as good as theyre treated...that's for any vehicle...ford is a reputable auto maker...with certain vehicles being highlight vehicles...although sales have declined the expedition is still a reliable contender in the full size suv category...the vehicle speaks for itself seeing that the only problematic issue is the compressor and vibration...which u have the parts for the compressor so ur actually left with the vibration...I have a 2004 and love it...only owner and will not sell or trade it for anything

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Original transmission gave up at 1.2 million something miles and needed rebuilding, the engine gave up a while after that. So 1.2 million on original engine and transmission, goes to show how long they can last if cared for properly... :) Though I do suspect that this guy did tons and tons of highway driving, nonetheless, very impressive.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used to work at a taxi cab company in San Francisco, where all we ran were Crown Victorias with 4.6 motors. We had to pull cars out of service at 350k. The engines usually were the originals. Keep in mind they were driven hard and didn't get oil changes on schedule at all. The transmissions were another story, because of hard miles and literally no services, they usually didn't go more than 100k. Keep in mind if you keep clean oil and trans fluid, who knows how long it will go. If your going to tow you might want to put additional cooling for trans. Good luck, Moose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is like asking how long someone will live And they are told for many years yet.

And then they walk across the street the next day and are hit by an Expedition Well the expedition is still running but the poor old soul that was told for many years died

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That post about the guy getting hit by the expedition made me laugh. It shouldn't but damn that was funny.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As stated maintenance is key for anything mechanical. Properly maintained vehicles tend to be more reliable. However two things, first tolerance stacking or just plain bad luck can still cause premature issues, and second the previous owner seems to have been lax on maintaining the truck and that may be an issue.