How many miles is too many for a 99+

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hovocop

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought my 98 3 months ago for 3k. I have put another 1k into it replacing rotors; brake pads; battery; spark plugs; one caliper; and oil change. it currently has 206k miles on it...................... a good rule of thumb for old cars like this is $100/ month.........I have 4k into it, I want it to last 40 months........ if I need to put more money into it, the length of time increases........... served me well with my mercedes....... we shall see how this ford does

Exia

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Paid 1100 for my 2000 has 191k, just did a tune up, plugs, coils, oil, trans flush, DPFE sensor total in tune up 287.32. Runs and drives great interior is flawless, no rust. does have minor dings and dents but its 12 years old, and the owner lived in a city.

01xlt4wd33

Reaction score
mine is at 217k runnin strong and no major problems at all other than the usual filter housing leak 15 dollar fix and a manifold bolt broke usual stuff

Idahokid

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm going to look at one tomorrow with 141,000. He is the first owner and the dealer did everything.Even the oil changes.It's a 1998 5.4

shadow460

Full Access Members
Reaction score
177,000 and running well. Mine needs the oil filter hoses and possibly the cooler itself replaced. It's a DIY job, and the hose kit is under $100 online (not sure about the tiny little "cooler"). There's some small stuff wrong with it like a door that won't open from the inside (great for keeping tabs on kids) and the cassette deck is jammed.

kristine29

Reaction score
I have a 2005 expedition limited with 124,000 miles. At about 100,000 I did have to have the transmission rebuilt. 2nd Ford SUV that I had to rebuild the transmission. But the motor is solid!! I love my truck, yes it uses a lot of gas but rides great. AC has not worked in 2 years though. I was told would cost about $1,000 to fix because the problem is in the dash board. This summer I have to make the decision to either get the ac fixed....... or invest that money in another vehicle. :(

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My '97 has 277k on it. no service records but I have worked with the PO for a year, he did keep the fluids changed but didn't take good cosmetic care of it. new brakes, new air bags, new front suspension parts ( mustve been at around 100k as they are all aged now). she drives fine and has no leaks to speak of. and I got mine for $400 ;)

the take away from this thread is simple. either you need the records or you need to know the previous owners driving habits and knowledge of maintenance skills. otherwise it's a gamble.