How many miles is too many for buying used?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ski_rush

Reaction score
I’m looking at a 2007 EL Limited. It has 200k miles…but it was owned by a mechanic. I live in a very small town in the Midwest and I know the guy who owned the vehicle. He’s a respectable mechanic. This vehicle is a 3rd car for me and wouldn’t be a “main” family car. That said, I also need it to reliably do a couple hundred miles per week.

Am I crazy for considering this vehicle with 200k miles? It’s very well taken care of, but I’ve never bought a car with this many miles…I’ve sold them with these miles but never bought one with them. Thoughts?

Logan97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought my 07 from a used lot with 192,000 miles on it. Sitting on a little over 210,000 now and it's still going strong. I've had it for about 2 years now, so about 10,000 a year.Haven't had to replace anything major. The way I see it is if he's a good mechanic and took care of it then I'd buy it, obviously look it over, but I'd still do it.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
At 200k I'd consider most 3rd gens to be nearing end of life, but it's not a given. For me, it would have to be super cheap.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The reality is that parts wear out, so it likely depends on your tolerance for repairs. I'm usually getting rid of cars around 200k. On most vehicles I've owned, the mechanical issues usually begin as you approach 150k, with accessories failing and seals leaking. Then it's just progressive, random parts failures from there on out. I don't have tolerance for ongoing repairs, because most bolts on fixes I do myself and my time is limited.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The reality is that parts wear out, so it likely depends on your tolerance for repairs. I'm usually getting rid of cars around 200k. On most vehicles I've owned, the mechanical issues usually begin as you approach 150k, with accessories failing and seals leaking. Then it's just progressive, random parts failures from there on out. I don't have tolerance for ongoing repairs, because most bolts on fixes I do myself and my time is limited.

Very similar experiences here. On most of my vehicles things started going south at 150k with a progression that built up momentum as the miles rolled on. By 220-230k most had a wide array of minor problems that culminated in some sort of major failure (transmission, head gasket, etc.).

StephenOsborne1

Reaction score
My biggest concern at this mileage would be the timing set. Has it ever been done? If otherwise we'll maintained it could give you many more years of service.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
My experiences have been right in line with the rest of these guys. Approaching 150,000 miles the repairs become bigger. Starters, radiators, exhaust manifolds, exhaust, oxygen sensors. A plethora or crappy jobs in rusted trucks I just don't enjoy doing anymore. Not impossible, not particularly costly if I do them myself. Just not fun. Around 220,000 you start to get the deal killers: Timing problems, head gaskets, transmissions.

Your choice depends on your bank account. The more you pay, the newer car you get. The newer the car the fewer the repairs. They used to say "Payments or parts". You pay either way.

Buy the best you can afford. It will pay you back in longevity, dependability, peace of mind and free time not spent under it.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
These trucks will go 300,000 without too much trouble, if maintained. Truck from the salt belt would not be as good, as a southern truck. Not sure if Nebraska uses salt on the roads.