How many Miles on your 4th Gen Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Samantha1

Reaction score
2023 XLT, 202A, Special Edition, Tow Package - 7500 miles (3 trips from Florida to Tennessee) and I love it! It's an awesome road vehicle and no issues!
Samantha

BP 09

Reaction score
83,000 on my 2018 XLT

Been perfectly maintained from day 1. I do my own maintenance and repairs. Never more than 5,000 miles on an oil change. Trans and diffs have been regularly serviced. Amsoil SS 5w30 for the oil. I am tuned.

Only issues - I did have cam phaser rattle at 80,000. I did the full timing job myself in about 9 hours, replacing all components and using the upgraded phasers. Quiet as a mouse now. Don't understand why the phaser rattle makes people sell this thing, as the repair was not that difficult or expensive considering the price of these vehicles. Also, Factory shocks were shot around 80,000. Upgraded to Bilstein 5100s and rides like it should have from the factory.

LOVE my Expedition. 20 MPG regularly when not driving like a jerk. Fits my football team of a family with ease. Who needs a minivan ;)

lurch

Reaction score
2019, 85K. I've had the cam phasers replaced, the rear diff serviced, the moonroof replaced, and the rear windshield wiper fluid tubing replaced. I have not had to have it in for service in quite a while now. I am hoping that I have gremlins worked out and can put another 85K on it before buying another vehicle.
I spoke too soon about working the gremlins out. I now have a transmission rebuild kit on order at my dealer.

Andy B

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2023 SPP delivered this April!

1,700 miles and just got the first oil change.

They're so cute at this age.

:)

Speed 330

Reaction score
I take good care of my 2018 Expedition purchased new. I have my dealer perform all factory recommended maintenance, many items earlier than recommended by Ford.
Currently have 85,000 miles and the truck looks and drives like new. Any comments out there about being able to use this truck reliably to 150k miles or beyond.
Done cam phasers twice, replaced heater hoses, new serpentine belt, new battery, new thermostat and water pump. At this point the catalytic converters and turbo’s are original.
Maintenance wise, done rear brakes twice, fronts are still original but close to needing replaced, change oil about every 4K miles, flushed transmission, replaced spark plugs, done dealer emission maintenance a few times, changed transfer case oil. I have never had radiator flushed, however with replacement of cam phasers, heater hoses, water pump and thermostat, plenty of new coolant has been added.
Next service I will have front and rear differentials drained and replace lubricant.
Be interested in others who have high mileage on their trucks and cost to maintain over 100k miles.
Timing chain kit phasers at 150,000 not a problem since

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We enjoy our Expedition but I’m very worried about the CDF drum issue of the transmission. I’m at 77,800 miles and got the truck as a Gold Certified at 60k and under Warranty until 100k. Ours is a Max Limited with CCD suspension and 22 inch wheels. I don’t tow really anything and just need the space for the kids.

Previous owner did all their oil changes at around 5-6000 miles and was a highway used car going off the idle versus total hours and mileage. They had the cam phasers fail and truck went into limp mode in 2/2019 at about 30k so the truck was towed in and they were replaced by the dealer. Before that, it was one of the trucks which had R134a Freon on in it from the factory so the AC compressor failed around 20k and Fords technical bulletin informed to replace all the AC components from the compressor, condenser, evaporator and lines.

That looks like all for the previous owner. My experience is as follows,

Water pump at 61k
T stat 62k
Turbos rattling on start up at 64k and both replaced.
Cam phaser noise right after that at about 65k and replaced but not with update parts.
New hot restart tap noise after cam phasers replaced which turned out to be the phaser solenoids. While diagnosing for the hot restart noise, the dealer installed the updated phasers.
Plastic oil pan resealed at 64k but now leak has currently returned and I need to either take it in under ESP or upgrade to the aluminum pan set up.
Cat converter failed at 65k for P0430 code. Bank 1 Cat replaced under 8/80k emissions warranty.
Trans CDF drum failed 1200 miles from home at 66k and car locked into Park and couldn’t be driven due to low trans fluid pressure from drum bushing shift. Trans CDF drum was replaced with the un updated part that came out per TSB in May of 2023 so I’m very worried if this will happen again.
70k front right TPMS tire sensor battery went weak and replaced.
76k replaced the thermostat with the new updated design and flushed coolant (again).

We also take really good care of the truck. When we got it, I changed every fluid from front and rear diffs, transfer case including flushing the brakes with Ford fluid from the dealer. Trans pan was also dropped and filter changed and was extremely clean. All filters were also replaced as well as the spark plugs, battery and both engine drive belts. Coolant was upgraded from the orange to yellow. This was all at about 60-61k miles. The rear brake pads were replaced by the previous owner at 40k and I did them again when I got it at 60k with rotors. At that time the front rotors and pads were brand new with the so I pulled the pads and installed Hawk truck / tow LTS pads which was an amazing upgrade in brake response and stopping power. I myself performed a wheel alignment on the truck at a friends shop and amazed that only the front toe was a hair out of spec which is pretty amazing for 60k plus miles.

I’m hoping I’m just down to an oil pan re seal and maybe Ford will step up and turn the CDF drum TSB into a recall and then I’d really feel the gremlins have been worked out if this truck. I wish I knew if the later CDF drums were improved but the new part really looks to fix that issue since the bushing cannot shift and is locked in. Some people say “oh well it’s a 2018 and first year of production” but besides the plastic oil pan, all the 2018-2021’s seem to have these issues.

Luckily, the suspension is all super tight and the ride is still very good.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m hoping I’m just down to an oil pan re seal and maybe Ford will step up and turn the CDF drum TSB into a recall and then I’d really feel the gremlins have been worked out if this truck. I wish I knew if the later CDF drums were improved but the new part really looks to fix that issue since the bushing cannot shift and is locked in. Some people say “oh well it’s a 2018 and first year of production” but besides the plastic oil pan, all the 2018-2021’s seem to have these issues.

Luckily, the suspension is all super tight and the ride is still very good.
What thermostat you replaced with? If your new thermostat is the 180F RT1258, which has been widely discussed here, you may not have CDF drum failure again coz the tranny oil temperature is significantly lowered.

Last edited:

BMW2FORD

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What thermostat you replaced with? If your new thermostat is the 180F RT1258, which has been widely discussed here, you may not have CDF drum failure again coz the tranny oil temperature is significantly lowered.
I have the 180 after seeing how hot it ran when I got it but hate to say even though trans stayed around 190-195 it still failed! Could have been pre damaged from all the time running at 210 or more but hard to say. If I keep the truck I might try an air to fluid exchanger and get the fluid lower and see. That plus a Mishimoto radiator are on my list but I’m really thinking of selling it since I don’t need so much room anymore and the kids have their own cars.