How many owners out there with no major issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

osteodoc08

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, I’m at 92k. I’ve rebuilt the entire rear end when it grenaded. I’m out of warranty for the cam phasers. So that’ll be another $3k repair.

Other than those issues it’s been routine maintenance. I’m gonna need another set of tires soon. Brakes will likely need gone through again as the originals lasted about 45K miles. Well, let me rephrase, the rears started grinding so I had them do all 4 corners. The material is worn down again so I’ll likely just go another round when I do the tires.

I was doing 5K mile OCI with Valvoline 5w-30 synthetic and a Mobil 1 filter but the Blackstone analysis always came back good so I’m just going to 80% on the OLM. I don’t use the expy as much as it cost me $105 to fill with premium last week with 50mi DTE and I’ve got a Fusion Hybrid giving me 40-42mpg on regular as my daily which has racked up 65K trouble free miles despite catapulting over a deer hit by another car that was sliding down the road on its side and a stray dog that darted out in front breaking the fog light bracket which I fixed at home.

I have a small front axle leak but I keep the level checked. It’s just enough to keep it wet. I also don’t like the plastic oil pan and oil drain valve set up. The panoramic roof squeaks but I’ve got some of the special lube on order from Amazon. The RES is also a PITA and not as well integrated as I’d like. The side mirrors freaking out when I change my settings back from another driver but I rarely have anyone drive it so I’ve not been overly concerned

Other than that, it’s been a good vehicle and serves my family faithfully

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Major issues - no. Too many stupid little issues - yes. We only have 25,000 miles on it so far.

We have had most of the common ones with our '18 Max Limited:
* 3 of 4 struts replaced, but all separately because "they weren't leaking badly enough at the time".(three separate trips to dealer)
* Mirror software reprogramming because it was going haywire.
* Leather seam opening on rear armrest.
* Vehicle stuck in park ( once while trying to pick up kids from school, once while trying to launch boat) - requiring software update to transmission.
* Recent software update for cam phasers.
* Assembly grease leak at rear brakes (this one was just stupid).

Outside of the vehicle getting stuck in park at the worst possible times, none of the issues are what I would call "major", but this freaking thing has been back in the shop for warranty work more than any 2 vehicles I have ever owned combined.

I would hope that by now they've gotten most of this crap worked out. It really is a nice platform and a pleasant vehicle to drive, but it wasn't completely done baking when they pulled it out of the oven. Combine that with Ford being far too difficult to deal with on obvious issues (like the leaking struts) and it just hasn't been a great ownership experience, unfortunately.

PHIL NOWASKI

Reaction score
I have a 2018 XLT 202A with 64,500 miles and have had no major issues, except for sun roof warranty work.

Midnight451

Reaction score
2019 Limited with 34k, except for cam phasers which I’m procrastinating about, everything has been tip top. Couple of thousand mile road trips under the belt. Only complaint would be the tires.

Wangle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your rattle is likely the turbo waste gate(s). Too long of a duration for cam phasers.
2018 Limited 301A. 17k. Jan 2019 purchase Oct 2018 build just days before the last 2018. LOVE the vehicle. Front shocks at 12k, mirror rattle software update, solved issue.
Cross Country tires are a little noisy, but performance OK. Battery is getting weak, interior lights shut off in one minute with door open. Should be 10 minutes. Dealer checked it in August, but I will have to be more persistent and get a replacement. Still, one of the best vehicles I’ve ever owned for reliability, and by far the best vehicle for features, towing, gas mileage for what it is. We took a Florida trip with eight people almost 3000 miles and averaged 21 MPG. The one thing that leads me befuddled is the shock situation. They learned how to make shocks that last in the 70s. If I had shocks failing in my flagship vehicle it would be redesigned and fixed. Or maybe replace them with Bilsteins.

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I used to work for Ford; so, I have a unique way of looking at this question. Back in the day (still?) we rated vehicles by "TGW" (Things Gone Wrong) points, we further distinguished them by severity (10-minor thing a customer would notice; but, not complain about, 50-an issue that was an irritant; but, not big enough to take it back to the dealer, 100- a major issue that would be returned to the dealer). We further distinguished between "design" and "build" issues. Design issues were those that when the car/truck was built as designed, the concern existed. Build issues were "manufacturing quality" issues, The vehicle was not built to design intent and the manufacturing defect causes they concern.

I have a 2020 XLT FX4 MAX. The truck was delivered with a non functioning front camera washer nozzle check valve, causing it to puke washer fluid all over my garage - 100 pt build issue. The right rear door is a little tighter to close than the other 3 doors - 50 points. The Torque Converter Clutch has occasional harsh engagement - 50 pt design. The foot activated lift gate feature is a POS - 100 pt design issue. The OEM halogen lamps were useless - 100 pt design. The weak sway bars front and rear are borderline unsafe 100 pt design issue. Double horn beam when exiting a running vehicle - 50 pt design..

My vehicle's TGW score: 550 pts - 150 build / 400 customer satisfaction at zero defects - which is pretty bad overall. On average, the vehicle line must have a lot less otherwise they'd end production, the vehicle line probably hovers around ~120 TGW's on average.

On the upside, I have a few surprise and delights: I love the eLSD, Fuel economy is better than I expected, All of the seats are more comfortable and flexible than I expected. Climate control and other I/P controls for radio and communication are better than expected. Paint and fit and finish is better than I expected with the exception of the passenger rear door effort. The ability to fix some of my least favorite things through Forscan is an unexpected delight.

Overall, it's a great hunting wagon.