How much play in rear stabilizer bar end links?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Still searching for my clunking noise.....my rear stabilizer bar end links both have a similar amount of movement in them when I grab them and push back and forth. Should they move at all or are they moving because the bar is so skinny?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would suggest that the end links should have no movement back and forth - only rotational movement in the joint.

I have replaced numerous sway bar end links on my vehicles over the years - but not my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4. I have found new end links often eliminated a suspension clunking noise.

The front and rear OE links on my 1999 Corvette were made from some type of graphite composite. They failed and the replacement parts (same front and rear) from GM were switched to metal links. The composite links clunked when they were worn out and deformed.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There's no noticeable play in the end links. How many miles on your Expy ? The rear lower ball joint "bushings" will clunk when they get old and get soft. Does it happen all the time? Or just in turns? Also, a nice upgrade for the Expy's handling is available by replacing the stock rear sway bar with a heavy duty Belltech unit. They're fairly inexpensive and really tighten up the turn lean on the Expy.

Belltech 5550 Rear Sway Bar on the Expy ....

xQvojO.jpg

Belltech vs. Stock Rear Sway Bar size comparison .....

AF3qSs.jpg

Rear Ball Joint Bushings on Expy ....

sG4AVS.jpg

Cooper

Reaction score
There's no noticeable play in the end links. How many miles on your Expy ? The rear lower ball joint "bushings" will clunk when they get old and get soft. Does it happen all the time? Or just in turns? Also, a nice upgrade for the Expy's handling is available by replacing the stock rear sway bar with a heavy duty Belltech unit. They're fairly inexpensive and really tighten up the turn lean on the Expy.

xQvojO.jpg

AF3qSs.jpg

sG4AVS.jpg

Cooper

Reaction score
Hamfisted showed me that stop picture after I had installed mine and I realized I had the bar on backwards. Bolted end should face backwards. I had a slight clucking noise too when I was riding down the driveway, didnt hear it on the main road though.
I put the on the right way and all was well then.

OP
OP
Password

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score

xQvojO.jpg

AF3qSs.jpg

sG4AVS.jpg
167k miles on the expy. I hear it 95% in turns or if I turn the wheel back and forth. Only hear it at low speed. So, I assuming the Belltech website inadvertently left out the '06 model from the fitment guide?
https://www.belltech.com/products/b...3-05-ford-expedition-1-rear-swaybar-5550.html

OP
OP
Password

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score

xQvojO.jpg

AF3qSs.jpg

sG4AVS.jpg
Do you know what the part number is for that lower bushing? It's the rear lower "knuckle bushing"?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Cooper

Reaction score
OP
OP
Password

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score
also take off you front wheels and look at the control arm bushings.
I used to think it was coming from the front, but after sitting in the third row while someone else drove, it's definitely coming from the rear.