how to buff out these scratches???!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03EXPO4x4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Someone tried to turn to close to me and the front of there vehicle caught my door. It left yellow paint on my clear coat. I wet sanded it off and then polished it with wax but still cant get the wet sanding marks off my trim? when wet it look normal then dries to this... Any Ideas?

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What grit paper did you use to wet-sand? It looks like you need to use a more abrasive compound/pad to get rid of the sanding marks. Might need to use rubbing compound. Polish gets light scratches out, not sanding scratches.

thewishkah

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree when sanding you need to progressivly get lighter in gritt( higher number). once you get up to 1200 or higher I would normally say compound and then polish but those grey panels like to turn colors when you put wax or polish on them so you may want to try cleaning it and using a plastic shine spray (for trim). . Also for future reference (something I picked up while doing body work) for spray paint, rub marks from other cars and or objects pick up a can of specialty reducer(used to thin paint before spraying). Put on some rubber gloves as this stuff is pretty bad for your health lol, put it on a rag and just wipe away the marks. Works 98% of the time on most of the above listed issues.

Last edited:
OP
OP

03EXPO4x4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
finished with a 3000 grit. I tried meguiars scratch x2 on it about 3 times. When first applied scratches are done. but as soon as it dries they come right back. I will try the shine spray and see.