How to change your oil

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Changed my oil today, and decided to document the process for anyone doesn't know how to do it. Plus, it's a nice way to save some money. ;)

Materials:
-6 qts of oil
-1 oil filter
-Container for used oil
-5/8 ratchet
-Oil filter wrench (optional)
-Gloves (optional)
-Towels to help clean up(optional)

1) I've always been told to drive around a bit to heat up the oil, so I always drive to either Advanced Auto or Autozone, since both of these places will take your used oil for free.

2) Park somewhere with enough space up front to crawl under, usually away from all the parked cars. Set the parking brake.

3) Get everything out and ready. Place the container for the used oil under the general area of the

4) Crawl under. Ready the oil container. Use the 5/8 ratchet to start taking off the oil drain plug. Once it become easy enough to move, I use my fingers to finish taking off the plug. Careful, it might be a little hot.
SNV34913.jpg

5) Once the oil is finished draining, put the plug back on, making sure not to cross-thread. Do as much as you can with your hand, then finish it off with the wrench. Don't overtighten.

6) Move the oil container under the filter. Take off the oil filter (counter-clockwise.) Let the oil drain out of there, and put the used filter to drain.
SNV34915.jpg

7) Put the new filter in, making sure not to crossthread. Hand tighten, then finish it off with a filter wrench, but never overtighten.
SNV34914.jpg

8) Pop the hood.

9) Look for the place you put your oil in. Put a funnel, and start pouring in the oil. I poured in all of the 5 qt jug, and most of the 1 qt bottle. I'll measure tomorrow to see how much more I need to add.
SNV34918.jpg

10) Take the oil inside and pour it in the designated used oil container (ask for it.)

In this case, I used 5W-30 Truck and SUV Mobil 1 synthetic oil, and a Motorcraft filter (I think it was FL-820S), the total of which is around 30 dollars (3.50 for filter, 22 for 5 qt, and 5 for 1 extra qt of oil to make the 6.)
SNV34917.jpg

mohs00

Reaction score
dont over tighten the oil fliter but you use a wrench to tighten it? I've always tightened it by hand. And why are you using 5w30 oil when your oil cap says 5w20?

OP
OP
ELVATO

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hand tighten it, as well, but I figured not everyone is as strong as us:cheers: Technically, on the filter box, it says to hand tighten, then wrench tighten about 1/4 turn, or so.

As for the oil, I've heard putting in 5W-30 won't really hurt much. Ford just went to the 5W-20 to improve fuel economy. Or so I've heard.