how to lower the suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wpatters1229

Reaction score
I have a 2000 XLT that had air suspension. I replaced it with a conversion kit that has shocks and springs in the rear and coil over shocks in the front. Is there a way to lower the suspension? My wife has difficulty getting in and we would love it if the suspension was about 3" lower. Any ideas would be helpful.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Easiest way would have been to stay with air springs, but put in a toggle switch to lower/raise the vehicle. That's what show vehicles do. You can drop it like it's hot. But coil springs you have to chop springs, and unfortunately that's the height they stay at. On top of that you've got a real choppy ride, due to lack of coils. Might be easier to get the Mrs a new SUV that's lower, like a yuck, mini van!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
W

wpatters1229

Reaction score
Yep....the air suspension was shot and was going to cost a bunch to replace all the parts including the pump. Got the truck for a cheap price and everything else is good but that.
Might have to get a fold up step for the wife to use to make that one step smaller. Will have to do some online looking...thanks

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can get her a plastic step from any hardware store. Problem is once she's in, how is she going to pull it into the vehicle? That grab handle on the A pillar is what I use to yank myself inside. My Suv's pretty high, and works for me.

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can get her a plastic step from any hardware store. Problem is once she's in, how is she going to pull it into the vehicle?

Just buy a piece a rope while at the hardware.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That'll work, problem is when she lowers it down, it will probably topple over a time or 2, until it lands on all 4. Even then without somebody holding it, it could slip out.

justKen

Reaction score
Understanding that you're in Ca., and I'm in Colorado - I have a set of factory running boards off of my '98 that you are welcome to if that would help, and if you can get here to pick them up.

/K

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junker