How to Replace Shocks on '06?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK, since the search function is down right now, I'll ask this straight out without a search.

Has anyone replaced their shocks on a 2003-2006 Expy? I have a feeling I need to get better rear shocks as they seem to sag a bit too much with load. I looked and it appears that the upper nut is going to be a PITA to get to. Just want to know if anyone knows of a good way to go at it, and are there any how to's for it.

Thanks.

Last edited:

GRIP

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok the stocks don't hold up the truck the springs do. all the stock does is damping the spring how many times it goes up and down.if you don't want that much sag you need heavier spring. but anyway they come out togetter so if you don't have a spring compressing tool don't touch it cuz if you take the nut off that holds the spring in the shock you will get hurt.the spring is under pressure.

AvroAero

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've taken mine out on the 99 I had. Was putting air bags in em. If you put air bags in them you'll be able to jack up the pressure when you have a load and lower it for a smoother ride without load. With harder springs you'll have a rougher ride, and won't sit level without load. Although with airbags you'll need to buy new springs anyways if yours are worn to the point they don't let the truck sit level.

All I did to take em out is jack the rear up, put it on stands, use the jack to put some pressure on the axle, remove the sway bar connections and any other connections that hold the axle from going down to far (shock, limiting strap if have one), then lower the axle. FYI you need the truck on stands high enough to let the axle drop enough to take pressure off the springs. Watch for the breather hose for the dif, you don't wana pull it out. Once the axle is dropped you can shimmy out the springs. If its a pain you can let the axle down more.

If you buy airbags you just pull the springs, get the new ones, stick the airbag inside the new coil, stick the new coil in, and route a little hose into the cab. Then you fill it up with a compressor.

I would sometimes take 2000+ lbs of test weights in the back off the truck. That and towing killed the coils. With the air bags in, at 20psi or so the truck would handle like a navigator with the 2000 in the rear, without, she'd be bouncing uncontrollably.

Unless 2nd gen has independent rear suspension, then its a different story.

Last edited:

GRIP

Full Access Members
Reaction score
diff. set up on a 06 spring and shocks come out as 1 unit. independent rear suspension.