How to Reset Window Regulator?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anyone know the procedure to reset the travel on the 4th Gen window regulators? I have a driver's door rattle/squeak that disappears if I lower the driver's window just a hair. I figure if I can adjust the travel slightly, it will "remember" that as the new closed position to avoid the rattle/squeak. Was thinking of temporarily inserting a piece of insulated 12 gauge wire or similar at the top of the window track for it to close on to remember the new closed position.

I can always schedule a dealer appt, but prefer to do my own troubleshooting if anyone knows the procedure.

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
May be easier to stop the “rattle/squeak” than it would be to tackle the window adjustment regulator deal. I would spray a little WD40 around the window seal to see if that stops it. If not, spray a little around the door seal. Hope that helps.....

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
May be easier to stop the “rattle/squeak” than it would be to tackle the window adjustment regulator deal. I would spray a little WD40 around the window seal to see if that stops it. If not, spray a little around the door seal. Hope that helps.....

WD-40 is an anti-desiccant. Spray silicone would work much better, but would probably have to be applied more than once.

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yea true.....I would rather fix the rattle/squeak than take the door panel off and try to adjust the regulator to stop 1/16th inch short of the window seal.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A little squeaks not worth disrupting a virgin door panel seal. Even the best techs never get the door panel like it was. Especially if you have those dreaded plastic buttons that rip away at the cheap cardboard panels. No, spray it, spray it again, and don't F with it, until the window motors shot! Trust me on this one. No good ever comes from removing a factory sealed door!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
scottdm

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yea true.....I would rather fix the rattle/squeak than take the door panel off and try to adjust the regulator to stop 1/16th inch short of the window seal.

I've had the door panel off already a couple of times to try to lube things up and add felt to stop squeaks. The clips are easy to remove and snap back into place easily, so no worries on that front. The panel is so large and has so much flex, it's a loosing battle in my opinion. When the window rolls up all the way, it flexes the door panel a bit and causes the noise. I've lubed the gaskets already in every area that I can access. My understanding of adjusting the regulator travel is that it's accomplished with accessing a certain mode in the software and simply using the window switch to identify the new travel. No mechanical adjustment from what I read. The only adjustment procedure I can locate is for older F150's, and it doesn't seem to work on the 2018+ Expedition.

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had the door panel off already a couple of times to try to lube things up and add felt to stop squeaks. The
, so no worries on that front. The panel is so large and has so much flex, it's a loosing battle in my opinion. When the window rolls up all the way, it flexes the door panel a bit and causes the noise. I've lubed the gaskets already in every area that I can access. My understanding of adjusting the regulator travel is that it's accomplished with accessing a certain mode in the software and simply using the window switch to identify the new travel. No mechanical adjustment from what I read. The only adjustment procedure I can locate is for older F150's, and it doesn't seem to work on the 2018+ Expedition.

Wow.....I take it that the lube you did, did not stop the noises. I can’t help u on the software portion of the fix because I currently don’t own anything to plug into the Expy access point. I would guess if u roll the window up manually you can control the stop point but the main idea is to just fix it through the Expy computer system, if you can. I’m going to do some research and I’ll be back if I find you a fix or if I don’t.....

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had the door panel off already a couple of times to try to lube things up and add felt to stop squeaks. The clips are easy to remove and snap back into place easily, so no worries on that front. The panel is so large and has so much flex, it's a loosing battle in my opinion. When the window rolls up all the way, it flexes the door panel a bit and causes the noise. I've lubed the gaskets already in every area that I can access. My understanding of adjusting the regulator travel is that it's accomplished with accessing a certain mode in the software and simply using the window switch to identify the new travel. No mechanical adjustment from what I read. The only adjustment procedure I can locate is for older F150's, and it doesn't seem to work on the 2018+ Expedition.

I went to:

https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/how-to-reset-automatic-windows-by-mia-bevacqua

This link shows how to reset the auto window function which may stop your problem. Let me know if the procedure helps......