Hum/Groan when A/C is on at highway speeds

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fastcapy

Reaction score
Hi all. I have a 2014 EL and at highway speeds I have noticed a fairly loud hum or groan that happens when the A/C is engaged. I haven't really noticed it at slower speeds however. Driving on the highway I actually thought it was an issue with a front wheel bearing, cv, 4 wheel drive system, etc. However as soon as I turn off the A/C it goes away. It also seems to be kind of laggy when accelerating with the a/c on.

Could it just be a bad idler pulley bearing or something like that, or am I looking at something more serious.

Thoughts?

TIA

Mike

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi all. I have a 2014 EL and at highway speeds I have noticed a fairly loud hum or groan that happens when the A/C is engaged. I haven't really noticed it at slower speeds however. Driving on the highway I actually thought it was an issue with a front wheel bearing, cv, 4 wheel drive system, etc. However as soon as I turn off the A/C it goes away. It also seems to be kind of laggy when accelerating with the a/c on.

Could it just be a bad idler pulley bearing or something like that, or am I looking at something more serious.

Thoughts?

TIA

Mike
The compressor is the only thing I can think of that is moving, I would look at that before it leaves you stranded.