Hyper flash turn signals

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have LEDs front and rear and the flasher from an electronic auto parts store fixed the hyperflash.

In gen 2s it's on the drivers side under the dash. I don't remember exact location but there is 2 or 3 relays in the junction box. I just replaced the one making noise when the turn signals where on.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just looked at the wiring diagram for the 09 and the flasher circuit is part of the smart junction box Which may mean that if it stops working then instead of replacing a plug in flasher you will need to replace the whole fuse box

And who says Ford Has A better Idea

Tocapet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've been trying to solve this issue for a long time. I have LED replacement bulbs in front and back and have a hyper flash. I can't for the life of me find a flasher module where this is controlled.

I have a 2008 Ford Expedtion XLT. PLEASE Help!

Unfortunately, according to a Ford Master Tech, the flasher on my '09 and your'08 are part of the "smart module" that is located on the passenger side kick panel and can't be replaced.
Wonder why they still sell the flasher at auto stores?

Tocapet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Quick & dirty solution:

I believe I have the solution for the gen 3 Expys:
When I changed out my bulbs for LEDs, I did the rears first. I still had normal flash until I changed out the fronts. That tells me a resistor will work. I'm going to wire a couple of 6-Ohm resistors to a trailer light plug. I'll plug this into the rear of my Expy and I think it will do the job. Since the 3rd gen can't use the EP27 flasher.

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Resisters should work. I have done this on other vehicles with lighting modules where changing the relay is not an option.

OP
OP
GAINMOB

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
yes that is the fix due to 3rd gens not having a flasher unit from what has been shared on here

Tocapet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I noticed that when I swapped out the stop/tail bulbs first, the flashing was normal. But when I swapped out the fronts a few days later, it started the hyper flashing. So here's my question: Is the smart module reading the load of all 4 bulbs, or is it just reading the load of the front parking/turn signal lights? If I add resistors, will I have to add them to all 4 bulbs, or will just adding them to the fronts work?

Lwood

Reaction score
I just bought a 2017 Expedition. The Expy was to replace my 2012 F-150 that was totaled in an accident. The turn signal is very rapid from my truck. I'm guessing this is called hyper flashing and is probably due to someone changing out the lights for LEDs. I have two questions, how do I know if the lights were changed out? Will the hyper flashing cause any problems, or are people adding the resistors because the hyper flashing is annoying or some other reason. Thanks!

Chencho

Reaction score
Quick & dirty solution:

I believe I have the solution for the gen 3 Expys:
When I changed out my bulbs for LEDs, I did the rears first. I still had normal flash until I changed out the fronts. That tells me a resistor will work. I'm going to wire a couple of 6-Ohm resistors to a trailer light plug. I'll plug this into the rear of my Expy and I think it will do the job. Since the 3rd gen can't use the EP27 flasher.
So did this work for you? Currently going thru same situation