I am checking off the list of things on my 2000 5.4 XLT 4x4 ex California Highway Patrol expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
brcknrdg Rob

brcknrdg Rob

Reaction score
Had lots of fun with my 2000 off-road. That baby sure took a beating and never broke anything. Much more nimble than the newer ones; I found it lots more responsive and faster than the o8's. When I retired from the job, I brought it with me and put Bilstein shocks in it which I really liked. A really good truck which took me through 260,000 miles...

There is a big difference between the feel of the 1st generation and the 3rd. My 00 feels like a truck should and my 09 feels like a car. When I originally picked up the 00 back in 07/08 it had 225,000 on it. The odometer is stuck at 231,000 now 12 years later. Its spent a lot of time in the redwoods and up on the mountains since then. This thing keeps kicking ass. Its got the Airaid cold air intake and the flowmaster exhaust. It sure sounds like you are going a lot faster than you really are, but the ride height and feel is definitely less refined. My 09 has 181,000 on it and no modifications. I just put some aftermarket coil packs in it and it ran great for a week and now is slugging and 1800 again. I had gotten the 303 code and switched the coil packs between 3 and 2 to eliminate the fuel injector. It ran great for a month and is falling on its nose again. I think I need return the packs and get real OEM ones. Maybe I will search this forum first though. I haven't had the chance to dig in yet.

OP
OP
brcknrdg Rob

brcknrdg Rob

Reaction score
Rob are your torsion bars sagging? Or like ball joints and other components?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mainly the ball joints and other bushings. I'm looking to redo them all but am trying to figure out what I want to do with the suspension.

tack87

Reaction score
I've had no problems with MSD coils for my 02, just keep with OEM plugs.

Last edited:

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought a 2nd Gen SSV a year ago; it was a supervisor's fire truck in showroom condition. it was just under 100K, needing a ball joint and a rear rotor. getting any real increase in ground clearance for the 2nd Gen is very difficult. Either "leetle" lifts from shocks or "blocks" or major buildups on suspension and body. It came with just under 32" tires on it, for 8.9" of ground clearance. I'm putting just over 33" tires on it, we'll see how much change in ground clearance that yields.
but, i'm loving it so far.
One way or the other, I am eventually getting 35 or 37 inch tall tires under it.

OP
OP
brcknrdg Rob

brcknrdg Rob

Reaction score
I've had no problems with MSD coils for my 02, just keep with OEM plugs.
I ordered the Accel off of Amazon, I will be returning them. I think I am going try reinstalling all of the old ones and then replace the #3 with motorcraft. Plugs were replaced with motorcraft.

OP
OP
brcknrdg Rob

brcknrdg Rob

Reaction score
Rob, ditch the $8 aftermarket Chinese coils and buy real ones, or you'll be chasing a miss forever.
I tend to talk myself into going cheaper and more often than not regret it. I put the set in after reading reviews on Amazon....LOL. I replaced the heater core on my 99 ranger 3 times and on the 3rd try went back to OEM cause the only thing that was a lifetime guarantee was that I would be removing the dashboard every 2 years for the rest of that trucks lifetime.

tack87

Reaction score
I tend to talk myself into going cheaper and more often than not regret it. I put the set in after reading reviews on Amazon....LOL. I replaced the heater core on my 99 ranger 3 times and on the 3rd try went back to OEM cause the only thing that was a lifetime guarantee was that I would be removing the dashboard every 2 years for the rest of that trucks lifetime.

The MSD coils are cheaper than OEM.