I really miss the Gear Shift Lever

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bushpilot

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only thing that irritates me about it is have the two dials right on top of each other and having to look down then to make sure I'm selecting the drive settings and not the gear selector.

the knobs are significant different in size, it would have been nice to have STACKED dial/selectors (the lawyers probably blocked the accountants from doing that).

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I tried swapping to sport the other day on the highway and I turned the wrong knob and tried to put it in park at 80 mph. Luckily the babysitter wouldn't allow it....

larryjb

Reaction score
There’s benefits and drawback. I do miss my column shifter but with tech today there’s no reason for a big console shifter taking up all that real estate in the center console. That being said, I don’t know that the Ford rotary saves THAT much room as it still occupies a good bit of space...the Navi shifter keys are the business as they are up and out of the way. Merc’s stalk shifter is also good.

Why do so many people hate the column shifter so much? Is it because it's so "old"? If it's because the concept doesn't work well with 10 speed transmissions, I believe I've seen shifters with P, N, D, L, where L will go to the lowest gear possible safely. Of all the shifters, I find the column the most practical.

I haven't actually tried a rotary shifter, but I can see how frustrating it would be when backing up a trailer.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why do so many people hate the column shifter so much? Is it because it's so "old"? If it's because the concept doesn't work well with 10 speed transmissions, I believe I've seen shifters with P, N, D, L, where L will go to the lowest gear possible safely. Of all the shifters, I find the column the most practical.

I haven't actually tried a rotary shifter, but I can see how frustrating it would be when backing up a trailer.

Column shift is the most user friendly, you don’t have to look down and also more stylish leather wrapped etc. Console shift takes up a lot of space. Dial still takes up some space but better use of it.

Column wins for when you are yelling at the kids and slap in into park. Shut me right up growing up lol.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm sick of the knob, I still have to look at it to be sure I'm actually in a gear vs twisting the mode knob....
Give me the column shift and my key back!

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I love a column shifter and miss mine, but the rotary is ok.

It’s the console that’s a waste...not only does it take up a lot of real estate in the center console, it also sticks right up in the middle of everything. It’s simply a holdover from manual transmissions; now that we’re not physically shifting gears when we “shift” into D or R, there’s absolutely no reason to have a giant lever sticking out of the middle of the center console taking up room and getting in the way of everything.

It’d be like if the first jet airplane had a propeller on the front because, well, we’ve always put one there before.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I rarely have to use the knob since the only one in the Navigator is for the drive modes. The piano keys are, in my opinion, a killer alternative to a physical shifter. I can see how the ambiguity of the knob would be annoying for changing gears.

RPS99SHO

Reaction score
I rarely have to use the knob since the only one in the Navigator is for the drive modes. The piano keys are, in my opinion, a killer alternative to a physical shifter. I can see how the ambiguity of the knob would be annoying for changing gears.
This. If I can’t have a physical connection, buttons are preferable to the rotary thing.