Increase mpg?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

F1vel66a

Reaction score
I'm running the stock exhaust set up and was wondering what others thought about opening it up to a dual pipe with a H and if it would give better gas milage. I partially think it would because it would relive back pressure.

This is a 1998 xlt non e.b. With 5.4l triton stock

Also other ideas for saving on feul?

rtbrjason

Full Access Members
Reaction score
18 is already really good.. I can touch 17 with pure highway driving but barely see 11-12 with city driving, especially with warming it up in the winter.

I don't think you're going to get your monies worth (or 2mpg) out of the exhaust if you're doing it for mpg gains.

OP
OP
F

F1vel66a

Reaction score
Well exaust parts are free for me lol but what would be a good way to add mpg?

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Buy a smaller car! :)

A programmer from edge or SCT. Doing an intake system doesnt hurt and my exhaust guy has been trying to talk me into a flowmaster setup for max mpg's. Flowmasters are too quiet for me though. If you are hitting 18 then as it has been said that is very good as it is and it would be hard to get much more out of a 3 ton boat.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
F1vel66a, when it comes to exhaust, you are having to play a balancing game here. Yes, lower back pressure allows the motor to not have to work as hard to push the exhaust gases out, but at the same time, the back pressure is what creates your low RPM torque. So, what can happen is out on the highway, you may get slightly better mileage with say a true dual 3" pipe setup, using an H-pipe, and a 40 series muffler. But, in town, you will have lost most of your back pressure and you are going to have to really get on the gas to make it take off unless you are doing 4,000 RPM tranny drops to get the truck going. Where if you take a step back to say dual 2.5" pipes, an X-pipe, and a 70 (or even possibly a 50) series muffler, you will keep more back pressure which will make the truck more driveable in town and still drop the back pressure at highway speeds to give you better mileage.

I would recommend 2 other modifications if you are looking to maximize mileage. The first is doing the "Gotts" mod or going with an aftermarket intake. This will allow the engine to breathe easier, allowing more air to reach the cylinders and just make things work easier. The other modification is converting over to electric fans. Doing this modification frees up about 6 hp and 8 ft-lbs of torque at all RPMs. So, even though you are not messing with the motor itself (internally), the motor is not having to power other devices, so, that leaves more power to go to the rear wheels. That allows you to accelerate at the same rate and not have to put your foot as much into the gas (therefore better mileage).

Please keep in mind that 2200 RPM is a magical number. Driving with the RPMs above this results in decreasing mileage the further above it you go. I have done a lot of playing with my truck and doing detailed mileage analysis. When on the highway, you want to keep your cruising speed between 1800 and 2200 RPM (closer to 2100 RPM is the best). Also, when accelerating, depressing the gas pedal so the truck naturally shifts at about 2500 RPM results in the best intown mileage. Are you going to accelerate as fast as the car next to you. By no means. But, are you more interested in performance or mileage? A corvette may be able to pull 25 mpg on the highway, but if you goose the car off the line from a red light, the mileage will dip below 5 mpg easily (yes, 5). That is where people make big bucks in how they program the computers to maximize mileage. You can prove this to yourself using 2 tanks of gas. Drive one where you are gentle on the gas and do as I say and allow the truck to shift normally at 2500 RPM. The other tank, get on the gas and let it shift at above 4,000 RPM routinely. See what the mileage difference is. I think you will be surprised.

Reaction score
hi. just to let u know im new to this forum but have quite a bit of experience with the expys. I had custom exhausts on 2 out of 3 of my expys and had interesting results. on my '99 we (my buddy owns a custom exhaust shop) tried a 3" "super" single with a straight-thru ovaled heavily packed muffler ad the mpg proceeded to drop about 1.5 to 2 mpg right away. we then went back to a 2.5" with an offset turbo muffler (which was quieter) and gained three from the first attempt which put me overall about 1 to 1.5 mpg overall gain from stock. i also installed a ram-air from spectre but did not feel an appreciable gain as i only noticed about .5 to 1 gain on a good day. Just wanted to add my 2 cents. good luck with your project !!!

OP
OP
F

F1vel66a

Reaction score
Thanks for your guys's thoughts im going to gk ahead and do dual exhast with a intake