Increase mpg?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big White

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hate to say this, (prolly raise some flack) but Ford has huge teams that do NOTHING but optimize their products for mileage. It is one of their primary goals. They have computer models, trillions of bits of test data, wind tunnels, performance testing, etc etc. And a bit of know how. In other words, there is VERY little you can do further the very high goal that they have already set for themselves for ANY vehicle they make.

Putting on a less restrictive exhaust, as has been pointed out, may in fact make things worse. If you make the pipe bigger, you slow down velocity, and can seriously alter the scavenging dynamics that may have been designed into the total system.

The Gotts mod (or ANY CAI for that matter) is also a very dubious mod if mileage is your goal. The restriction for any mileage consideration is in the throttle body, as it will only be open to about 25% or so during cruise. Having a "better intake" means very little when your pumping losses are right there at the throttle. (One more reason why diesels can be more efficient)

Anything that can increase mileage is really a compromise. For example, you can pump the snot out of the tires to their max pressure rating. You would give up handling, and gain some weird and premature wear. You would lower the overall rolling resistance, but at what cost?

As stated earlier, we are driving a 3 ton brick wall. The very best mod would be taking the ball bearing out of your ankle and the lead weight off your toes. The sweet spot is somewhere around 45 or 50 mph. Certainly anything over 65 will raise your spot on the graph in a very non-linear manner.

My last fill up was 11mpg, winter is killing me.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
Big White, I will agree with you that Ford spends a lot of money to make a very good exhaust system. But, at the same time, they are also trying to meet a few other things (like a quiet exhaust system for the large percentage that don't want to rumble down the road). So, like with anything, they are compromising some to balance maximum mileage with an exhaust system that meets what the majority of people want. With that being said, there is some room for improvement. If there wasn't, then any exhaust mod you did would result in loss of mileage (as some of us have seen improved mileage).

The same can be said about the intake. Yes, the factory one is very good. But, going to almost any aftermarket intake (or doing the gotts mod) will result in 1 hp and 10 ft-lbs of gain. How do I know? Simple, I put my truck on a dyno and measured the results. Also compared a lot of data from other people and their adventures in making more power. Nothing to be jumping over, but it is a combination of little changes that can add up.

As for getting the best mileage, I have done a lot of playing in this department. I had a 5,000 mile trip I made and had lots of time (and tanks of gas) to play with this. In my playing, I found that you get the best mileage keeping the engine RPMs between 1800-2200 RPM. In the case of my truck (stock tires, 3.73 gears) this related to 60-72 mph. Below 1800 RPM and you are getting the motor into a condition where it can not run efficiently. Above 2200 RPM and you are getting into the power band and higher spinning forces/speed.

Reaction score
thermo-just curious if u have the tow package on yours with that gear combo you mentioned. my '99 and '01 expys ran about 1600 rpm at 60mph, my '97 ran about 1700 rpm at 60mph.

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
fordentusiast, yes, I do have the tow package on my truck. The tow package has nothing to do with the RPMs that the truck is running. The RPMs at highway speed are a function of the rear end gear (atleast for the 4R70/4R100 tranny Expy's, you get into the 5 and 6 speeds, then things change a little). The tow package only adds a few coolers and forces you to the 3.73 rear end in most cases. Hence why I say to watch the RPMs, not so much the speed (just reference the speed for those with the 3.73 gears).

Thermo

technical advisor
Reaction score
F1ve, a lot of it depends on how you drive your truck when accelerating from a stop. If you tend to keep the RPMs down to around say 2500 RPM (when the truck would shift), then it will help with your mileage. Also, you may find that you tend to keep your truck empty of stuff where others will carry an extra 500 or so pounds (which will knock off about 0.5 mpg believe it or not). Then there are other things like keeping the tires inflated to above normal pressures to help with minimizing rolling resistance. sometimes it is just luck that you get a good motor that is built just so that it runs efficiently.

Reaction score
fordentusiast, yes, I do have the tow package on my truck. The tow package has nothing to do with the RPMs that the truck is running. The RPMs at highway speed are a function of the rear end gear (atleast for the 4R70/4R100 tranny Expy's, you get into the 5 and 6 speeds, then things change a little). The tow package only adds a few coolers and forces you to the 3.73 rear end in most cases. Hence why I say to watch the RPMs, not so much the speed (just reference the speed for those with the 3.73 gears).
thanks for the info. i was under the impression that the tow pkg also came with a lower final drive ratio. i see you are also listed as a technical advisor. i consider myself to be well versed with these expys as i have had 3 of them and have some decent diy experience. but i have a question i was thinking about bouncing off a few people as opposed to starting a new topic because i don't want to start an oil vs. additives riot.