Infamous Leaking Intake Gasket

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

z168

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So last week for the first time I noticed my temp needle go higher than the median. Upon inspection I noticed coolant leaking on top of the engine.

IMG_5178_zps1b3f4b83.jpg

Turns out its the intake gasket. You cant see it in the photo unfortunately but the whole top was soaking in coolant. In addition to overheating it might damage other things like ignition coils. So yesterday I bit the bullet and $800 later it was replaced.

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had to replace mine as well. at the time I did not know of the problem with the pipe rusting out and didn't replace that when I had the IM off. it started leaking as soon as I added water (to test with, always test with water to prevent wasted AF). the first removal was spaced out over 3 1/2 hours per day for three days before I headed to work (2p 10p) that friday I got it on and found the leak. Saturday I had that thing back off in just around two hours. maybe less.

Only cost for me was parts :D

IMINYOURCHAIR

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have a look through this album for some gore from that repair. the PO let it leak for so long it pitted the intake.. the plugs weren't firing right either so I got those after removing the IM. it made it so much easier to get them out and torqued properly too.

I ended up replacing the metal pipe with 5/8 heater hose and a clamp. 14k miles so far..

OP
OP
Z

z168

Full Access Members
Reaction score
wish I had your DIY know how. Anything beyond brakes and some suspension work is too much for me.

I read too that it leads to something nasty if I just decided to keep refilling coolant. So I decided to get it done asap

splintrcel

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I swapped the gasket using only the internet and my young energy and got it done in a weekend. My only mistake was i misunderstood that left on the gasket meant left when your sitting in the drivers seat, not looking at the engine so you could say i changed my intake manifold gasket twice. Go ahead and laugh at the lake of coolant that formed in the center of my engine along with my broken hopes and dreams destroyed by my mistake but after a quick second try i was on my merry way.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Add me to the list. Looks like I'll be doing mine soon. Coolant is draining in the garage now.

OP
OP
Z

z168

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My friend's indi said that this problem is more prevalent with the 5.4L compared to the 4.6L.

Great

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To z168 and others that don't think they can perform the "big" repairs, it is all a state of mind. There are plenty of members on here with varying amounts of experience that are willing to guide you on repairs. Plus there are usually videos that show how to do the repair.
The only real limit would be work area and tools. The big rule of thumb is "don't break anything that isn't already broken".

OP
OP
Z

z168

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To z168 and others that don't think they can perform the "big" repairs, it is all a state of mind. There are plenty of members on here with varying amounts of experience that are willing to guide you on repairs. Plus there are usually videos that show how to do the repair.
The only real limit would be work area and tools. The big rule of thumb is "don't break anything that isn't already broken".

I totally agree. Its all in your skill level, comfort zone or simply how much time you have in your hands.

This truck has been amazing. 130k miles and still going. I plan to keep this so I said she deserves to have new paint

Reaction score
Subscribed!
o.png