Installed a remote trans filter on my 2009

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

zorobabel

Reaction score
Expedition is still on jack stands, filter and hoses are not pressurized yet (not tested), still have to drop the pan. Most likely I'll install a drain plug on pan, I'll use epoxy and not the plastic washers these plugs come with.
Back to the filter, I mounted it hanging on the radiator support with sheetmetal screws (didn't have the patience to drill a big hole to insert 3 carriage bolts, nevermind making those holes square).
I used 1/2" transmission hose from Napa.
Again I didn't feel like learning how to make good double flares so I just cut the hose before the (failure point) quick connect and used a brass hose mender. As you can see I removed the whole quick connect and metal line inlet side.

Attachments

• IMG_0032.jpg
    IMG_0032.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0033.jpg
    IMG_0033.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    159.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0035.jpg
    IMG_0035.jpg
    141.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0036.jpg
    IMG_0036.jpg
    168.8 KB · Views: 9

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice. Maybe stick a magnet along the exterior bottom of the filter to catch & hold metal particles ?
One of those magnetic ad cards you get with every Rock Auto order would work great.
I just used an inline Magnefine filter since it's made for tranny fluid and filters down to 3 microns with a built in magnet ( Fram XG8 is 20 mic ).
But anything helps. Are you using a deep pan ? Those from PML come with a drain plug built in.

Magnefine Trans Filters

PML Deep Alum Trans Pan

new_magnefine_3_8_s.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Z

zorobabel

Reaction score
I've had magnets rust in the past, and if they fall off - there goes a pile of metal particles (maybe even magnetized) back into the stream.
I'll add 1-2 hard drive magnets into the pan though.
Another option I've pondered on would be to drill a hole (not all the way through) on the inside of the filter mount (corresponding to the outside boss) and epoxy a tubular neodimium magnet in there (I've done this for drain plugs in the past).

OP
OP
Z

zorobabel

Reaction score
Not using a deep pan, $400 is kinda rich since I don't have any towing ambitions right now.
I seem to remember the Magnefine filtered in the 30 micron range, but the magnet is what made the difference catching far more ferous material than the filtering media.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigRick4x4