Interior lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

None of my interior lights or running board lights will go out when the doors are shut. It used to be a periodic thing, but now I have to pull the fuse. I think it is a door switch or sensor, but where is it and what do I do?
Thanks,
Bob

PaulC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The door light switch is incorporated within the door latch located in the side of each door. Try lubing the door latch area with a generous amount of WD-40, and opening and closing the door several times.

OP
OP
G

I am experiencing the same problem (interior and running board lights staying on) with my '98. I'm not sure it's a door sensor problem because there's no consistency as to which door causes the problem and it doesn't happen all the time with any particular door.

The problem has gotten progressively worse. The lights used to turn off after a while, but now they stay on so long that the car won't start.

Any ideas as to the causes and solutions to the problem?

PC

OP
OP
G

I followed the advise and used WD-40 on all of the latches on the sides of the doors and that took care of the problem. If that does not work, pull the fuse for that circuit so you don't wear down the battery. The chart is in your owners manual. Hope that helps.
Bob

1997 XLT

rwinch

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It should be fuse #14 on the inside fuse box for '98's. I pull this all the time I tailgate or stay at the beach with the rear gate open. Learned the hard way....

OP
OP
G

Sprayed WD-40 in all the latches last evening. Sure enough, problem solved.

Thanks folks!

And thanks for the info on which fuse to pull to get the lights off when they're unwanted. I do a lot of camping and would like to leave the tailgate open without running down the battery. I've always thought it was a poor design on Ford's part not to have an off switch.

Thanks again,

PC

b_salgado

Reaction score
For all of you that would like to turn off your lights with the gate open I have your fix! I cut a switch into my lighting circut. I mounted it in the rear pillar just below the third row seatbelt anchor. It looks completely factory! Just pull off the rear panel and get a rocker switch. cut it into the rear panel and then look for the white wire with a purple stripe. cut this in half and the lights will go out! Keep in mind..... this is only for the rear door! All your other doors will still operate correctly regardless of the switch position. Place one end of the wire on one side of the switch and the other end of the wire on the other side of the switch. I do alot of construction work and leave my rear hatch open often, this feature comes in extremely handy! Hope this helps!:D