intermittant oil pressure in 5.4L

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

john08007

Reaction score
I have an 2002 5.4L, a while back I was driving it, all the lights came on, I noticed it had no oil pressure, stalled, wouldn't restart. I had it towed back, charged the battery and it started right up. I was thinking maybe the alternator was bad, battery died, engine shut off. Well, I replaced the alternator, battery, was driving it around some, I noticed some light smoke at the exhaust. About 15-20 min later the oil light came on and no oil pressure at all on the gauge. Is it possible that the oil pump is intermittent? I have never heard of a pump working and then not working. It is also making a bit of a tapping which I would assume would mean the timing chains need to be replaced or it is in need of an oil change. Any help at all would help, thank you in advance

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The oil pickup screen may have some blockage from the timing set. They are made from plastic that will disintegrate over time. I would test the oil pressure with an external mechanical gauge to see what the true pressure is. If it is out of spec then I would take a look at the timing set and oil pickup screen.

nsperf

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Second stamp11127.

Check oil pressure with mechanical pressure gauge. report the findings and we will try to help.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mhrrington