Intermittent AC

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BEAR5oh

Reaction score
Looked back several years and several forums/sub-forums but couldn't find anything truly covering this.

So...

About a week ago my AC/Climate Control starting doing something very strange. Started the truck up and the AC started to blow for about 1 second then stopped blowing anything. Then, about 5-7 minutes later, blew for about 1 second then stopped. Then again. Then again. Then again.

You get the idea.

Has anyone experienced this and what was the outcome?

Thanx.

B.

2010 Limited w/all the bells n whistles

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can't help you, but I'm interested to know where this thread goes. The other day my AC shut off for a second and then came right back on. It has never happened before, but I'm not naive enough to think it won't happen again - and worsen with time.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Start with checking the relay for the ac and the fuse that supplies current to it. You could also check the ac evaporator temperature sensor.

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Put a set of gauges on it and record the static, low and high side pressures.
The static pressure is when both sides are balanced after the system has been run and allowed to sit for at least an hour - this would be your first reading. Low and high are taken after the system has run for 10 minutes on the max setting.
The static pressure should also be close to ambient temperature at the time of the reading. This is used as a rough "gas gauge" since it indicates the amount of refrigerant in the system.
A low side pressure that is too low will cause the system to cycle as you describe.

OP
OP
BEAR5oh

BEAR5oh

Reaction score
So, I've narrowed down when the problem happens.

Happens when the car is hot, itself. Like, parked all day in the sun. Anyone?

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like something with the compressor, is it kicking on and staying on while the AC fluctuates? Or is the compressor going on and off?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You have been given a few things to check and all we now know is it happens when it is hot. Until you are able to give facts on the systems operating condition we can only give you a list of "could be this or could be that".

Gruz7

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have been given a few things to check and all we now know is it happens when it is hot. Until you are able to give facts on the systems operating condition we can only give you a list of "could be this or could be that".

Yeah stamp knows what he's doing to.. helped me with my AC when I was super confused about its operating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65