iPhone overheats and shuts down while in charging pad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would not use anything that heats the battery. If that charger pad was heating my phone, I would take the extra second to plug it in.

Just what I have noticed on how to keep phone from overheating while charging.

Different types of batteries need to be maintained differently.
(ex. your truck starter battery needs to be fully charged at all times to be at peak performance) when it is drained it actually hurts the reliability of the battery.

The older nickel-cadmium batteries (Ni-Cd) you had to fully discharge before charging. (to maintain proper battery memory)

That is no longer true in todays lithium-ion batteries that are in your smart phones. What is the most harmful thing to your battery now is heat.
Having apps on in the background is a huge battery user for nothing. Most apps you can turn on notification and close it.

So since you do not have to worry about the memory on the battery anymore, anytime I am near a charger and can plug it in I do.
That way you always start out going on full battery or close to. The second reason is if you are going to be using the phone for multiple things like navigation and music streaming on a long trip just keep it plugged in so it only does a trickle charge to keep it at full, no heating the battery this way. (bonus having a fully charged phone at the end of the trip or in a emergency)

Charging from a low battery % and heavy usage at the same time (add in apps in the background)= high heat and is hurting your battery's longevity.

Experts say for peak battery longevity keep it between 30% and 70% charged. I have been doing the above for years with my phone battery and if it has dropped off from lasting longer all day it was barely noticeable and right along with the battery's specs.

Dahammer

Reaction score
I've had the same iPhone 12 pro since I got the truck last November, and always keep it on the charging pad while driving. As many have said here, the phone can get hot enough to serve as a catalyst for a fusion reactor, but that's never caused problems until this past week: twice CarPlay just quit and I couldn't re-connect to the phone, and when I looked at the phone it had a black screen with a small red thermometer and said 'the phone is too hot, wait til it cools down.'

I'm wondering if the heating up while in the charging pad for these past 10 months has slowly degraded the charging element/circuitry in the phone. Anyone else have this happen?
What type of protection case are you using for the iPhone?

OP
OP
nationalgallery

nationalgallery

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The second reason is if you are going to be using the phone for multiple things like navigation and music streaming on a long trip just keep it plugged in so it only does a trickle charge to keep it at full, no heating the battery this way. (bonus having a fully charged phone at the end of the trip or in a emergency)
I'm definitely going to start plugging it in on long trips; not only for that reason, but both times my phone did a self-shutdown, I was driving somewhere new using Google maps — driving on the freeway and Google maps was suddenly gone along with driving directions....

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also, batteries don’t like to be drained and charged at the same time and will produce a lot more heat then just draining or charging alone. Why this suddenly started happening not sure. Maybe you were in an area that had less reception which will also cause the phone to kick up the power. As others have mentioned wireless charging alone will produce more heat then wired charging.
The wireless charger is basically a high frequency magnetic coil that "transmits" a field to a "receiving coil" in the battery or phone. There are resistive losses in both coils and that will generate some additional heat. I don't know for a fact, but I suspect if you have a phone with an aluminum frame, that eddy currents are induced into the frame and that will heat up as well. I would not have one of these in my car, it gets hot enough in the summer and you risk a battery fire.

More:

Left Coast Geek

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I find my phone (Pixel 6A, which doesn't have wireless charging) gets quite a bit hotter if I rapid charge it with a 30W USB C charger than it does if I use a 10W USB A charger. if I enable 'adaptive charging', it doesn't get nearly as hot. I'm usually using Android Auto when driving anyways, so the USB cable charges it at 10W (2A, 5V)

OP
OP
nationalgallery

nationalgallery

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know for a fact, but I suspect if you have a phone with an aluminum frame, that eddy currents are induced into the frame and that will heat up as well.
Just ordered an iPhone 15 Pro with a titanium frame (my 12 is aluminum), so I'll see if there's any difference there. Both have a glass back.

gtr09

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use this Bulletpoint motorized wireless charging cradle on my Note 9, works flawlessly, and doesn't get hot. But I use a thin case so wireless charging works well enough. The console design on these cars is atrocious. I can't believe they took the most important, most used space in the car and stuck some stupid dials there and made the wireless charging spot require an acrobatic feat to get your phone in and out.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think this is common, especially for phones in a case: there’s a relatively big gap between the charging coils.

In addition, the phone antenna is blocked to a certain extent, so it bumps up the power required looking for a cell signal (this is an engineering guess based on my battery usage in low signal areas, and that BMW have a cell signal booster if you have their wireless charging tray, on some models).

Finally, while my phone gets hot when on that charger (I have an otterbox case that allows for connection to the magnetic apple charger) I find it is an awkward location to put the phone and take it out, so use a magnetic mount, mounted on the coin holder.

Side note, I rented a Tesla 3 and found my phone charged fine in that car, but an associate with the same apple phone, but different case (it was a slimmer ‘no name’ case) wouldn’t charge.

OP
OP
nationalgallery

nationalgallery

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone's phone done a overheat self-shutdown like mine did (twice)?
I don't have a case on my iPhone, i just put it on the charging pad.

mwar99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't even bother trying to use it anymore. It barely even keeps the phone charged if you are using carplay. I just use a cord when I want to charge the phone. It's not like it inconveniences me to have to plug it in vs. put it on the pad.