iPhone overheats and shuts down while in charging pad

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nationalgallery

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've had the same iPhone 12 pro since I got the truck last November, and always keep it on the charging pad while driving. As many have said here, the phone can get hot enough to serve as a catalyst for a fusion reactor, but that's never caused problems until this past week: twice CarPlay just quit and I couldn't re-connect to the phone, and when I looked at the phone it had a black screen with a small red thermometer and said 'the phone is too hot, wait til it cools down.'

I'm wondering if the heating up while in the charging pad for these past 10 months has slowly degraded the charging element/circuitry in the phone. Anyone else have this happen?

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes / Wireless charging is notorious for damaging phones. Not just the car wireless charger but the ones u buy at the store as well. A wired charge is safer.

OP
OP
nationalgallery

nationalgallery

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes / Wireless charging is notorious for damaging phones. Not just the car wireless charger but the ones u buy at the store as well. A wired charge is safer.
I have a wireless charger at home that I've been using with iPhones for 3-4 years; when I'm home I keep the phone on that charger. The phone only gets very mildly warm on that charger, even if it sits on it for a couple days straight. Whole different story with the truck charging pad......

Woodwolf

Reaction score
yes, I second that. Do not use charging pad. I assume pad is off when plugging in phone and place it onto pad. My phone in a Otterbox won't fit to begin with.

RacerBX1

Reaction score
Also, batteries don’t like to be drained and charged at the same time and will produce a lot more heat then just draining or charging alone. Why this suddenly started happening not sure. Maybe you were in an area that had less reception which will also cause the phone to kick up the power. As others have mentioned wireless charging alone will produce more heat then wired charging.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife's phone has issues and tends to heat up a lot, less so when plugged in but still gets hot like that. Mine on the other hand only seems to overheat if charging and in direct sunlight. I seem to see these symptoms more with phones when they are getting older than when they are new. I think it does have to do with the batteries degrading with time. Taking the phone out of a case also seems to improve the situation.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would disconnect the charging pad and use a cable. Why risk a fire? These charging pads are a dodgy fad.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My phone will overheat in my nav. It's really hot out at the moment so I can see why. I let the car cool and the phone come to ambient temp before charging and works just fine after.