Is Ford Doing Anything About Their Paint Issues?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am having the same issue on my liftgate and hood. However, according to the body shop I took it to to get an estimate, this is not a paint issue. It is a corrosion issue with the aluminum panels.

The body guy said that the way the lift gate outer skin is folded over, if any other metal type gets in there it causes a reaction with the aluminum and it oxidizes. Won't rust but, it bubbles up and yes the paint cracks etc.

I am not an expert, but that is what I was told.

Indeed, it's not the paint itself. It's that this corrosion process is already underway before Ford starts painting the panels and they just go ahead and paint them without properly prepping them first.

Let's say you had an aluminum panel out in our yard for 2 years leaning up against some stainless steel posts. You want to paint the aluminum panel, but it's covered in dirt and has started to corrode. Option A is to remove all of the dirt, corrosion, etc., prime it and paint it. Option B is to just paint it as it is. Ford is doing the equivalent of option B and that is why the paint is virtually falling off these panels.

fothco

Reaction score
Re : blistering- on rear tailgate - my 2013 Expee Max . Such a problem ; body shop says $1000.00 to fix . I did try to repair myself but the result is protective but unsightly . No match of paint . Ford really should have recalled these blistering units . But , it is one fine vehicle otherwise . Blister do not stop it from hauling our RV , etc . Just a darn shame . Ford gets the $$$ we get the issues . fothco . [ In BC , Canada }