Is there a solution for the peeling paint?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

supermitch

Reaction score
Hi,

My tailgate / trunk is bubbling/peeling (as expected) on my 2011. It's getting pretty bad, and looks super ghetto. What options do I have to solve this?

Can I replace the entire thing with maybe a 4th gen tailgate?

Or perhaps a very late model 3rd gen? Are there ANY 3rd gen tailgates that won't ~rust~ bubble?

Last edited:

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi,

My tailgate / trunk is bubbling/peeling (as expected) on my 2011. It's getting pretty bad, and looks super ghetto. What options do I have to solve this?

Can I replace the entire thing with maybe a 4th gen tailgate?

Or perhaps a very late model 3rd gen? Are there ANY 3rd gen tailgates that won't rust?

The tailgate and hood panels are made of aluminum. They do not rust (ferrous metals...), but rather corrode due to Ford’s very poor preparation and painting of the panels.

There is another thread on this forum (many, many pages long) regarding the corrosion.

Ford has known about this problem for many years and chose not to identify and fix the manufacturing process defect that has caused corrosion for so many customers.

I ordered and bought a new 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4. The hatch began corroding before the base warranty expired. It is one reason that I will never buy another Ford product with aluminum panels.

OP
OP
supermitch

supermitch

Reaction score
I ordered and bought a new 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4. The hatch began corroding before the base warranty expired.

I've read the threads, I'm just wondering which year the issue might be fixed. I guess we know that it's gotta be later than 2015, at least! Sorry to hear that, btw... I would be choked if I'd bought a new vehicle that had this issue.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've read the threads, I'm just wondering which year the issue might be fixed. I guess we know that it's gotta be later than 2015, at least! Sorry to hear that, btw... I would be choked if I'd bought a new vehicle that had this issue.

As above, Ford hasn't fixed the issue. It persists all the way up to current models. You can have it stripped down to the bare metal and completely redone or, according to 2 local body shops, have it sanded down, coated with a sealant, and repainted. Any reputable body shop will have a lifetime warranty against peeling/bubbling either way. Or you could spray can it as some have done here. That wouldn't be acceptable for me, but some here are fine with it.

OP
OP
supermitch

supermitch

Reaction score
You can have it stripped down to the bare metal and completely redone or, according to 2 local body shops, have it sanded down, coated with a sealant, and repainted. Any reputable body shop will have a lifetime warranty against peeling/bubbling either way. Or you could spray can it as some have done here. That wouldn't be acceptable for me, but some here are fine with it.

If it's doable, I might start making some calls. Has anyone had success with a full respray?

Or you could spray can it as some have done here.
I guess I certainly can't make it much worse by trying it myself, haha.

OP
OP
supermitch

supermitch

Reaction score
Maybe I can just get a quick respray and then just wrap it. It'll bubble but at least it won't flake off. Or just pull the wrap, sand it again when it does, and wrap it again.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As above, Ford hasn't fixed the issue. It persists all the way up to current models. You can have it stripped down to the bare metal and completely redone or, according to 2 local body shops, have it sanded down, coated with a sealant, and repainted. Any reputable body shop will have a lifetime warranty against peeling/bubbling either way. Or you could spray can it as some have done here. That wouldn't be acceptable for me, but some here are fine with it.

Lifetime against peeling/bubbling...never heard of this.

That would make the price need less vasoline. I couldn't trust them to stand behind it though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carloss0712