Issues with Wireless Charger/USB Ports/Car Play

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ZJ22

Reaction score
My front USB ports on my 2018 Expedition Limited no longer light up and they are also very warm to the touch. They also don't recognize any of our phones for either charging or Apple Car Play purposes. The USB ports in the backseats work fine though. The wireless charging pad is activating and working on my IPhone XR, but when I pull it off, even after just a few minutes, it is very hot. Anybody else experienced any of these issues?

Randy Schmidt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not so far... I do notice that sometimes when plugging in my iPhone to either one of the two front usb ports, it doesn't always connect to CarPlay right away or at all. Simply turning off the car and opening the door to reset everything works just about every time.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not so far... I do notice that sometimes when plugging in my iPhone to either one of the two front usb ports, it doesn't always connect to CarPlay right away or at all. Simply turning off the car and opening the door to reset everything works just about every time.

Knock on wood...mine hasn’t done this in a few months. And it had been doing it once a week or so.

Fordalways

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The nature of the wireless charger will cause the phone to feel noticeably warmer than usual, but “hot” is not good. Is the phone in a case? Most of us use a case to protect the phone, but the phone is designed to dissipate heat and some case designs act as an insulator retaining the heat. For this reason, I personally prefer to use a 9” usb cable and rest the phone in the cubby at an angle so as to not use the induction pad to charge it. It stays cooler that way for me.

Kmdcolo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, however, it normally clears up on the next restart. This last weekend it didn't so I looked up force reboot of Sync 3 and it fixed the issue. Hold down the power button and next track button for 10-seconds and the system will reboot. This fixed my issues.

nc138

Reaction score
I don’t use the wireless charge because you still need to plug in for CarPlay. I did try it however and it makes the phone hot, I had an iPhoneXr as well. I also had an issue with the USB ports but it cleared up after two restart cycles

Randy Schmidt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This issue has risen its ugly hard again for me in recent days....

iPhone 11 Pro Max
iOS 13.1.3

I get in the Expy, start it, plug in my iphone and it won’t connect to CarPlay. Unplug lightning plug side from phone and plug back in... nothing. Unplug usb side of cable from port and plug back in... nothing. Change USB ports... nothing.

Shut the Expy off, and open the door to try and recycle Sync 3

Also noticed something new this time, on the Ford Sync 3 navigation screen, I see GPS and a red circle with a red X through it. This is new and it only does that when I cannot connect to CarPlay.

Any help or suggestions would be most appreciated. It’s happening on a more regular basis now.

Rancidlunchmeat

2019 XLT FX4
Reaction score
I don’t use the wireless charge because you still need to plug in for CarPlay. I did try it however and it makes the phone hot, I had an iPhoneXr as well. I also had an issue with the USB ports but it cleared up after two restart cycles

Yeah, I was thinking about asking this exact question today. What is the point of wireless charging if CarPlay and AA both require the phones to be wired and thus charging through USB? I guess you can charge your phone if not using AA or CarPlay, or you could charge a second phone.. but it really seems like almost a worthless or redundant feature. If your phone is new enough to have wireless charging, I'd imagine you're using AA or CarPlay because they're superior to the Sync 3 Nav.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are complaints and reports of iPhone 11 and IOS 13-13.1.3 causing wireless charging issues. Many say the 13.1.3 has been the worst for it. As of today their is no bug fix.

The Expy is my third car with car play and Sync. They all have been really finicky. Use a true Apple cable and also check that the lighting cable is not bad on one side. You can plug it in one way and it will not work and the other way it will. Sometimes the contacts fault on one side and you can’t even tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PHIL NOWASKI

Reaction score
My front USB ports stopped working. so I did a SYNC system reset and now it works fine.

charging port.jpg