JB4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MikeS3000

Reaction score
I'm usually a big flash tune kind of guy, but I'm intrigued by JB4 by Burger Motorsports while I am in warranty on my new '23. I've also been in the BMW world since 2012 and JB4 is a big player over there and lots of people like it. Does anyone have experience with running JB4 on their expedition? I have 93 octane so I was going to run their 93 map.

OP
OP
M

MikeS3000

Reaction score
Well I bought and installed the JB4 for my '23 Expy Max. It's a pretty impressive piece of hardware for piggy back. The wireless connect kit and phone app are a must. I have tested Map 3 made for 93 octane as well as Map 5 for E30. I have access to quality E85 near me so I put in a little over 7.5 gallons of E85 and topped off with 93 and this make some great power! If anyone has experience reading JB4 logs I would appreciate some input on how health the truck is running on E30.

Mac Attack

Reaction score
I see you posted in the JB4 forum and they'll give you the best feedback for these engines. My experience running the ethanol map and higher boost was the fuel rail pressure has a tendency to drop trying to supply the higher flow rate required with ethanol fuel. That's why a typical ethanol content limit for the Raptor engine is 20%. If I wanted more power it'll require a higher flow rate high pressure fuel pump (so i could run more ethanol), reduce the typical restrictions with the engine "air pump" (intake, intercooler, exhaust), and a change in plugs. Definitely not worth it for me....

Here's my Lincoln thread on the JB4 forums if you're interested:

OP
OP
M

MikeS3000

Reaction score
That's strange that your vehicles high pressure fuel pump was dropping with just e25. I'm at E30 and I think my fuel pressure is great. If you're comfortable reviewing logs, I'd love to get your feedback since nobody at the JB4 forums is responding. Here is a link to my log that shows a few runs on map 4 and then it goes to map 5 at the bottom.

Jb4 log

Mac Attack

Reaction score
I looked at your map 5 file over there and everything looked good. Your peak boost was 21psi whereas mine was 26psi and that's why mine required more fuel (assuming we were both around 25-30% ethanol). 26psi on the stock Raptor turbos is really too much in my opinion and that's why I never went back to that map. So far I've put over 18k miles on mine running Map 3 with no issues. Enjoy!

OP
OP
M

MikeS3000

Reaction score
That makes sense about your engine running more stock boost as I see that it does share the Raptor 450hp high output engine for that model year. My 2023 Limited is tuned to 400 hp stock. It looks like the ECU commands no more than 14 psi boost whereas your engine is 17-18 lbs stock. The JB4 just tricks the ECU to add boost over stock and I can see where +5 or +6 psi would be too much for your engine. I plan on running Map 3 almost all of the time once I am done with this tank of E30. It's too much effort to mix and I just wanted to see the potential of the JB4 and engine. 93 octane will net me better fuel economy as well so we have to fill up less often.