Jumpy turbo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skmcclain

Reaction score
The other day driving on the interstate I was steady cruising 77-80 mph, and I noticed my turbo on my dash was very jumpy. I wasn't accelerating. The little guage was just jumping up and down. I thought that was very weird. Is this something I should keep an eye on or have it checked at the dealership? I haven't noticed it since then.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Somebody mentioned a wastegate TSB exists. If it chatters it can let out the boosted air and then seal back rapidly and punch the psi back up.

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine does that sometimes. If I give it more gas or back off a bit it goes back to normal. I always wondered if I was the only one seeing that.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That would seem to be something normal. The turbo has rotational inertia, and thus will keep providing boost a few seconds longer than when the demand ceases. If you back off the throttle slightly or the manifold pressure jumps up, the WG has to dump that energy.

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Somebody mentioned a wastegate TSB exists. If it chatters it can let out the boosted air and then seal back rapidly and punch the psi back up.
Is it related to the cold start rattle?