Just Got a 17 Expy EL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

minimonster17

Reaction score
I just got a gently used 17 Expy EL XLT 4WD that is white with the 202A package. It has 43k miles on the clock. I have one question that I have been unable to find the answer to.

The truck’s build sheet shows it has the oem remote start installed. The advanced settings screen on the instrument cluster even allows access to remote start settings. However, I do not have the push button start on the dash, or was not given remote start fobs by the dealer(Carmax).

How can I conclusively tell whether or not I have remote start on my Expy? If I do not have it, what parts would be necessary to add it?

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just got a gently used 17 Expy EL XLT 4WD that is white with the 202A package. It has 43k miles on the clock. I have one question that I have been unable to find the answer to.

The truck’s build sheet shows it has the oem remote start installed. The advanced settings screen on the instrument cluster even allows access to remote start settings. However, I do not have the push button start on the dash, or was not given remote start fobs by the dealer(Carmax).

How can I conclusively tell whether or not I have remote start on my Expy? If I do not have it, what parts would be necessary to add it?
There was just a thread on remotes in here but I would hit up the seller for that remote first.

Cyclone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2015 XLT had the remote start hardware but was not sold with the truck. I just had to get a remote fob key and program it. My guess is that you only need the key. It was a little over $100 at the dealer. P,us they had to cut it.

I used all winter. Nice to have.

OP
OP
M

minimonster17

Reaction score
Well, the thing is the dealer was not a ford dealer (carmax), and they do not have the remote start fob. I was just given two keys that only have the lock/unlock buttons on them. I don't mind going to ford to get the correct fob, but just want to be sure of what I have.

Is the push button start on the dasboard required in conjunction with the factory remote start? My dashboard does not contain that button.

Edit: I just checked the owner's manual. The key I have is referred to as the integrated keyhead transmitter.

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can have keyless start without remote start and remote start without keyless start. They are two different things.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Go back to CarMax and have them give you the proper keys.
They are generally pretty solid to work with.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did they give you 2 keys at least? If you have two, you can just buy the remote start key fob on ebay, they are cheap (not necessarily oem but they work). Then follow the instructions in the owners manual to program the third key after having it cut. My 17 was CPO so was required to have 2 Ford oem keys. I bought a cheapo third one on ebay, had home depot cut it for me for free, and programmed it in the parking lot. Works great and now I have a third admin key spare in case I lose one, I can still self program another without involving the dealer.