Just hit 200k

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Ran flawlessly on 2400 mi round trip only problem was that I stupidly overfilled the gas tank on one of the fill ups and the Service Engine Soon yellow light came on.

pulled the code P0442 EVAP LEAK. Damn!

Ordered new gas cap. We’ll see if that turns it off.

I’m thinking of buying a Silverado 1500 next summer. Probably sell the ole gal on eBay.

Last edited:

George R

Reaction score
Congratulations! This generation were built like tanks, Honestly. Plus the drive train is extremely durable/reliable. I’ve seen 4.6/5.4 tritons run well over 500k miles with minimal issues. I had a 2002 Eddie Bauer, one of the best trucks I have ever owned.

OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Congratulations! This generation were built like tanks, Honestly. Plus the drive train is extremely durable/reliable. I’ve seen 4.6/5.4 tritons run well over 500k miles with minimal issues. I had a 2002 Eddie Bauer, one of the best trucks I have ever owned.

500k!! Whoa. My truck runs great but I just did tuneup including new boots and cleaned the injectors.

I ran a 1200 mi trip at 80 mph and only burned 1/2 quart of 5-30 synthetic oil.

Too bad I need a pu or I’d keep her.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Congrats. So far we've gotten 200K out of all of our vehicles since 2006 (with no major issues), so I've come to expect it. The 5.0L V8 and trans in my Mountaineer were still running strong at 239K, but I sold it to a shadetree mechanic when the entire suspension rotted out. I'm hoping the Expedition can go at least that long.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Congrats. So far we've gotten 200K out of all of our vehicles since 2006 (with no major issues), so I've come to expect it. The 5.0L V8 and trans in my Mountaineer were still running strong at 239K, but I sold it to a shadetree mechanic when the entire suspension rotted out. I'm hoping the Expedition can go at least that long.

You can stop expecting on newer ones.
Sadly.
Oh, you might get to 200k but it WILL not be with the valve covers and the timing cover still being in place from factory.

I thought they were supposed to improve things. I guess forgot to tell them I meant DURABILITY and LONGEVITY.
I don't call fancy and almost all with leather seats, and touchscreens and infotainment and adaptive cruise control and ---should I go on--- Improvements.

OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
This is the Great Dilemma.

A person needs a different vehicle type after many reliable years of service from their old truck (Expedition) and seeks a new truck that is reliable and long lasting.

The new Fords are a disaster waiting to happen w cam phasers and timing chain and oil pump issues. Besides I bet those tiny turbos blow right after your warranty expires.

Chevy? WTF knows? At least they’re 5.3 V8’s haven’t changed much but I hear they’re dogs.

Dodge Ram? I don’t really want a Fiat and... well...it’s a Dodge.

Maybe I’ll check out the Toyota Tundra. No frills, not economical but at least it’s reliable.

Dang.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is the Great Dilemma.

A person needs a different vehicle type after many reliable years of service from their old truck (Expedition) and seeks a new truck that is reliable and long lasting.

The new Fords are a disaster waiting to happen w cam phasers and timing chain and oil pump issues. Besides I bet those tiny turbos blow right after your warranty expires.

Chevy? WTF knows? At least they’re 5.3 V8’s haven’t changed much but I hear they’re dogs.

Dodge Ram? I don’t really want a Fiat and... well...it’s a Dodge.

Maybe I’ll check out the Toyota Tundra. No frills, not economical but at least it’s reliable.

Dang.
I've just decided not to buy newer. There are plenty of super clean relatively low mile 1st and 2nd generation Expeditions out there.
I'm just going to stick with super nice condition ones with no rust underneath and by those as long as they're available.

OP
OP
Machete

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
Traveling on business today I got a Toyota Sequoia from Hertz. That thing is smooth, quiet, and when I stomped it it took off. Nice truck!

lonestarjeff

Reaction score
Ran flawlessly on 2400 mi round trip ...........I’m thinking of buying a Silverado 1500 next summer. Probably sell the ole gal on eBay.

I've looked at replacing both my 2000 Fords(F150 & Exp)with one new F150 or Silverado/GMC for the last couple of years. The fever always hits me right after new years. I start looking at the prices & reading the forums & it cures my fever every time. Then I start reading about the last generation trucks, then the generation prior to that, etc....reliability & cost of repairs end up making me feel like I'm better off keeping & repairing what I've already got.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
r98exp1