Just ordered a log splitter. What kind of hitch mount do I need?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oldpaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 27 ton dirty hands log splitter on the way. It takes a 2" ball, so I've got that settled, but what kind of mount do I need? I see 2" and 4" mount drops and I see risers.
I have a '14 limited with the towing package. I have the 2/3 spacers installed.
Thanks

gixer2000

Retrofit or Bust
Reaction score
I have a 27 ton dirty hands log splitter on the way. It takes a 2" ball, so I've got that settled, but what kind of mount do I need? I see 2" and 4" mount drops and I see risers.
I have a '14 limited with the towing package. I have the 2/3 spacers installed.
Thanks
You really need to see the height of the log splitter. If I was going to guess I would say a 4" drop would be in the ballpark based on the splitter heights I've seen. Might be worth trying to look up the height of the splitter and taking some measurements of the truck.

OP
OP
oldpaddy

oldpaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just did a quick search and they don't publish the tongue height.
Thanks a lot for looking. I couldn't find anything either. Not a big deal. I ordered a hitch mount for my garden tractor so I can move it around my yard. Once I get the splitter I'll take measurements and order a mount for my truck.

sjwelds

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Shouldn't matter much. Just use the hitch you have. Your splitter will likely just be a single axle, which means if you're a couple three inches nose high, it doesn't matter. IMO

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Little log splitters have small 8" (?) wheels on single axles so the hitch height will be low. Tongue down is safer but these don't weigh much.

Pick up an adjustable height hitch for $30 at Walmart, or Tractor Supply, or dozens of places and set the 2" ball wherever you need it. I keep one in my shed for towing random trailers. There are some very fancy, very expensive models but I don't need one. Mine uses bolts, the fancier versions use pins for very quick adjustments.

-- Chuck

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the splitter weighs less than 2000 pounds, you don't need to be concerned about hitch height or tongue weight.

JollyRoger

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I carry around a 4" drop (for the boat) and an 8" drop (for the enclosed cargo trailer). I also have a similar log splitter as the one you are getting. Either one of these receivers work find for the log splitter. Keep in mind you really don't want to go faster than about 50mph with these things. Hit a pothole and it will jump about a foot in the air. When going long distances, I put the log splitter in the back of my cargo trailer. Hope that helps.