Key Fob

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can you program a blank key to open the Expy with only one working key but you need two working keys if you want the new key to also start the Expy (or use Forscan)?

Short answer is yes. ForScan is like Honey Badger. You can use either ForScan or Ford's IDS software to program keys or FOBs from scratch, or a virgin PCM module.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Short answer is yes. ForScan is like Honey Badger. You can use either ForScan or Ford's IDS software to program keys or FOBs from scratch, or a virgin PCM module.

Exactly…the long 8X procedure does not solve the OP’s original issue. He even mentions doing it in his troubleshooting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The forscan method is pretty painless, take maybe 40 minutes because of the security waiting protocols in the program. I’ve used it for both my 17 expy, and my wife’s 12 focus.

these are the keys I used for the expy: KeylessOption Keyless Entry... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0184O6PFW?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

to sync the fob with the truck once you’ve added the PATS of the new cut keys to the truck, you do the cycle trick that was listed above. I even got the remote start to work on the truck (didn’t come that way) by enabling in forscan.

I have also done it for others and VERY comfortable in FORSCAN. My point was the 8X process does nothing to solve the OP’s original issue. He even mentions doing it. It only solved his issue temporarily.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
IDK why they had to make it so complicated. Especially if you don't own a laptop for Forscan....like me.

Plati

Reaction score
I have also done it for others and VERY comfortable in FORSCAN. My point was the 8X process does nothing to solve the OP’s original issue. He even mentions doing it. It only solved his issue temporarily.

I dunno. Depends on your perspective, methinks. I think the OP could use MrHam's procedure (first part) to make a fob that is capable of opening the door and then could use that (as a tool) to diagnose his original problem ... of being unable to unlock vehicle by fob. Could then proceed with diagnosis/repair from there. Could use second fob long term if first one was just flat out broken. The original problem might not be in the fob & remote start was not part of the original inquiry. I could be partially or totally incorrect and apologize if so.

I know now my comment was a bit off since I didn't remember the 2 fob rule.

Also a top contributor to the Forum is MrLoki who is the master of ethanol combustion and many things electronics as well as Forscan and other subject matter areas. Kudo's.

No-one can equal MsNavi, but then again none would wish to.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I dunno. Depends on your perspective, methinks. I think the OP could use MrHam's procedure (first part) to make a fob that is capable of opening the door and then could use that (as a tool) to diagnose his original problem ... of being unable to unlock vehicle by fob. Could then proceed with diagnosis/repair from there. Could use second fob long term if first one was just flat out broken. The original problem might not be in the fob & remote start was not part of the original inquiry. I could be partially or totally incorrect and apologize if so.

I know now my comment was a bit off since I didn't remember the 2 fob rule.

Also a top contributor to the Forum is MrLoki who is the master of ethanol combustion and many things electronics as well as Forscan and other subject matter areas. Kudo's.

No-one can equal MsNavi, but then again none would wish to.

Excellent points! I think he has a Fob, or fob battery issue. It is more likely the Fob is failing than the module in the Expedition statistically speaking.

Agreed, that it could be a troubleshooting step. The OP had mentioned doing the 8X steps so posting the dictionary just seemed unnecessary to me. He seemed to have already tried that.

Getting a second remote and having it fully programmed to do everything, maybe even a 3rd, it a great step all around. Then go from there.

Here are the steps I would follow.

1). Replace Fob Battery.
2). Scan for codes.
3). Get 2nd/3rd remote programmed(either Ford, FORSCAN, or 3rd party Locksmith)

Scanning is a good step, because if one of the modules involved in communication with fob is having an issue, there is a good possibility it will show up.

PS - Your last point was by far the best in your post. None of us are worthy!

Plati

Reaction score
$50 says the battery in the lonely key fob is bad.

I'm heading to the pool to burn skin in the brutal Siesta Key sun & quaff a Cigar City pale ale or 3, followed by Mexican food. I'm done here!
IMG_20210508_165244.jpg

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Using forscan is easy. If it's not, well, I don't know about that person's ability to tie their own shoes or find their way out of their own home of a morning...LOL

Anyplace that does keys can cut the key, with regards to the cutter itself being able to accept the replacement key blank...all the magic is in the programming of the fob itself and here, hamfisted is the professor and every other poster in this thread but a lowly freshman under his tutelage. Navi, I'll pass my notes on things keys, forscan, and puddle lamps to tutor you. :D

My money too is on the battery being weak, my Explorer fob has done this twice when the batt got weak. Easy enough fix, too.

Forscan is pretty versatile. I just used it on my Milan to disable the tpms on it as one went bad a few days ago. I'm not about to hassle with replacing a sensor when it literally took longer to walk to the car with the laptop and dongle under my arm than to actually find the table and replace a four with a zero.

It's exceedingly simple. Navi, bring your Navi to MO and you will no longer "havi" a tpms light in your navi.

Now if I could give the Milan about 50, 75 more horse with forscan... :D

Grey ghost

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If your car is close to 2 yrs old change the car battery. Ford's batteries are garbage. Also they take AGM batteries.for a reason