Key Programming

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

creef14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That appears to be the adapter of choice. I was also looking at the OBDLink MX+but still trying to determine if there's any significant difference in functionality for Ford vehicles.

that's what i use and it works great, never had an issue

Johnathan M

Reaction score
Wife and I bought for her an '17 Expy EL previous rental that only had one key. I bought two more on Ebay after reading feedback. I knew I want to enable the trailer brake controller so I bought the
OHP ELMconfig Forscan OBD2 Adapter with MS-Can & HS-Can Switch for Ford DIY Diagnostics on Windows
Sold by: OHP Tools for 30 bucks. I was reluctant to erase all keys so I just added one using ForScan and free extended license. Later I found I could add OEM remote start so I bought two OEM remote start keys
KeylessOption Keyless Entry Remote Control Fob Uncut Blank Ignition Car Key Remote Start for CWTWB1U793 (Pack of 2)
Sold by: KeylessOption $44.95 on Amazon.
I did have to delete all keys programmed and start over since there were now 4 keys. I followed the instructions in this forum and ForScan site. It took several tries for the remote start to programming correctly but it did work. But getting the car to start with the key was never an issue. I have also added driving lights to the Expy and programmed a friend's '18 F150 to remove the Auto Stop/Start feature.
My local Locksmith cut the new keys for me.

Here is a link to PATS programming on the ForScan.org site

https://forscan.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=839
I know this is an old thread, but it's relevant to my situation. I have a 2013 Expedition. We purchased it used, and the keys (2) we were provided do not have the center button for remote start. However, the Expy does have remote start from Ford... it's just controlled by a separate fob. I would like to add a key like you pictured with the center button for remote start so I don't have to carry the separate fob around to do the remote start. Is that what you did, or did your original keys have the center button for remote start. If your original keys didn't have that center button, and the ones you bought do, how did you go about programming them? Is it the same process as programming a new key with ForScan, or did you have to do something different to get the remote start button to work? Did you have to erase all existing keys and start fresh, or were you able to just add those keys and the remote start automatically got programmed as well? Hope all my questions make sense! Thanks!

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I don't believe it would work. The remote start on the 2013's were made by Code Alarm for Ford. It's a separate unit from the car's locking system.

Last edited:

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Look under the dash by the steering column. The remote start is a black box hanging from or in the wire harness under the dash. If there's that box there, probably secured with tie-wraps, the remote start was installed.