Key Programming

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dcsang

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi to the forum once again!

I only have one key for my 2013 Expy and would like to know if FORScan would allow me to erase and reprogram two keys, my existing and one additional. Local locksmiths are charging varying amounts for programming and I would rather invest in a good OBDII scan tool for use with FORScan if that is an option.

I am new to FORScan, so if it is possible some guidance would be appreciated.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think this has been discussed several times with some really decent threads for you to read and learn from. I would search out the longer threads, and hopefully you can quick-study to get yourself up on the options. I watched a locksmith program a new fob for my '17 with a laptop and the new fob inserted into the key holder in the console(mine is button start). I am not aware of a obd reader which also programs but once you read the threads, you'll know who the experts are, reach out to them if you still need assistance.

good luck,

jeff

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can take your Key to Wallyworld and they will make a duplicate for $65, programmed like the one you already have.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi to the forum once again!

I only have one key for my 2013 Expy and would like to know if FORScan would allow me to erase and reprogram two keys, my existing and one additional. Local locksmiths are charging varying amounts for programming and I would rather invest in a good OBDII scan tool for use with FORScan if that is an option.

I am new to FORScan, so if it is possible some guidance would be appreciated.

Your post is a little vague.

Do you have metal key - which is used to start the vehicle? Or, do you have an intelligent key fob which is used to start the vehicle via a push-button start?

On my 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4, with an intelligent key push-button start system, I was able to program a OEM THIRD fob myself, using the two original fobs - according to directions on the Ford website. The fobs also have a hidden metal key, which is used to enter the LF door (but not start the vehicle). I realize you only have one fob.

There are numerous posts on this forum about programming key fobs.

OP
OP
D

dcsang

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 2013 is not push to start and this is my only key. The second image is a stock photo but identical. The 'SA' on the blade indicated an 80-bit key. My goal is to program a second key to the vehicle, and remove any others that might already be programmed.

Does anyone know if locksmiths typically use the programming or cloning method? I specifically want the second key programmed so I have the ability to add keys myself.

I've seen videos where FORScan is used to delete and reprogram keys but I don't feel fully informed enough to attempt it at this point.

Ford Key.jpg Stock.png

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 2013 is not push to start and this is my only key. The second image is a stock photo but identical. The 'SA' on the blade indicated an 80-bit key. My goal is to program a second key to the vehicle, and remove any others that might already be programmed.

Does anyone know if locksmiths typically use the programming or cloning method? I specifically want the second key programmed so I have the ability to add keys myself.

I've seen videos where FORScan is used to delete and reprogram keys but I don't feel fully informed enough to attempt it at this point.

View attachment 33059 View attachment 33060

wallyworld can do it for you!!!

OP
OP
D

dcsang

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I read another post where someone got a duplicate key made at Walmart and there was no programming at the vehicle. That would indicate a cloned key, where the duplicate emulates the original. This would serve as a backup key but would not allow programming of additional keys using the 2-key method. My situation requires two unique keys to be programmed in the vehicle. I do appreciate your suggestion and it might be a cost-effective solution for others.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I read another post where someone got a duplicate key made at Walmart and there was no programming at the vehicle. That would indicate a cloned key, where the duplicate emulates the original. This would serve as a backup key but would not allow programming of additional keys using the 2-key method. My situation requires two unique keys to be programmed in the vehicle. I do appreciate your suggestion and it might be a cost-effective solution for others.

Your right, it is a duplicate Key... And no you can't get a third key programmed yourself, but it is cheaper to have them do a second and third key than it is to get a locksmith or Ford to do one for you.

Tocapet

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No, Wallyworld and Ace Hdw can only do clone keys. They work, but you can't use them to make a 3rd key.

I had a Dodge pickup once and only had one key. A guy came to the house with a laptop and made me another original key for $50 bucks.

Last edited:

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
The programmer is very expensive and not worth buying, unless you are a locksmith. The original keys should of had a sticker on them, with a code. The dealer sometimes, puts them in the owner manual. Sadly, having only one key, will cost you $50-75 dollars. If you have both, you can do it for free. Sometimes aftermarket remote starters installers, zip tie the spare chip key in the steering column. It is a hack way to override the anti theft.