Keyless Start Fob (17 Platinum)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anybody tried to program a 3rd Smart Key with the method linked in this thread (i.e., press the door unlock 3 times, press the brake pedal, press the door lock 3 times, press the brake pedal, watch the Start button blink, press the Start button)? I tried this with 2 Smart keys that I bought off of Amazon and I am getting a "No Key Found" error when trying it with the new keys. I have the two programmed FOBs in the vehicle when I am attempting this with the two new FOBs. Completely frustrating.

Did you try programming one new FOB, with the two “good fobs” in the car? Then, program the second new FOB, with the original two “good fobs” in the car?

I read the Ford website instructions and it says nothing about trying to program two new fobs at the same time.

Are the new fobs you bought genuine Ford, unprogrammed fobs, or cheap knock-offs?

Also, once a fob is programmed, it cannot be reprogrammed in the vehicle. A Ford dealer must “erase” all the codes with all the fobs, and reprogram all the fobs at one time.

fabsroman

Reaction score
Did you try programming one new FOB, with the two “good fobs” in the car? Then, program the second new FOB, with the original two “good fobs” in the car?

I read the Ford website instructions and it says nothing about trying to program two new fobs at the same time.

Are the new fobs you bought genuine Ford, unprogrammed fobs, or cheap knock-offs?

Also, once a fob is programmed, it cannot be reprogrammed in the vehicle. A Ford dealer must “erase” all the codes with all the fobs, and reprogram all the fobs at one time.

At the time I was doing it, both of the new fobs were in the vehicle. One was on the passenger seat and the other was in the console compartment in the spot where the fob is supposed to be put if the battery is low on it. It is my understanding that this spot in the console compartment is also where the fob is supposed to be put in order to program it.

The two original fobs were also sitting on the passenger seat.

The fobs I bought are Amazon, made in China, knock offs. So, that might be the reason. The first time I attempted to program them, the start button actually flashed. Now, when I try to program them, the start button will not flash and the new fobs will not work. My guess is that these fobs are garbage, but it still has me wondering if I am doing something wrong on my end.

fabsroman

Reaction score
Well, I figured out the process for the 3rd key FOB when I have two currently programmed key FOBs. The link to the Ford instructions in this thread, which I had before I even came to this forum, leave a lot to be desired.

Here is what I did:

1) Remove the valet keys from all the FOBs, both the old and the new. Have both of the old, programmed FOBs in the vehicle.
2) Put an old, already programmed FOB in the FOB cradle within the console storage compartment.
3) Press the unlock button on the driver side door 3 times, then hit and release the brake pedal.
4) Press the lock button on the driver side door 3 times, then hit and release the brake pedal.
5) The Start button should be flashing quickly at this point. Do not touch it right now.
6) With the Start button flashing, take out the old, already programmed FOB from the FOB cradle within the console storage compartment, put in the new un-programmed FOB in the FOB cradle within the console storage compartment, and now hold down the flashing Start button until a message pops up stating that the new FOB has been programmed.

If you are programming more than one new FOB, you need to repeat the process for each and every new FOB. I believe there can be all of 8 FOBs programmed to a vehicle.

For those of you with only a single FOB, I will be interested in the process that you need to go through. Hoping the above works with a single programmed FOB, but from what I have read and seen in videos, both of the programmed FOBs need to be in the vehicle.