Keypad lock- again

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

10Expedition

Reaction score
Hi all. As a "new" owner of a 2010 Expedition, I'd like to make my debut with an old question; where to find the keypad code. I've done my homework but none of the ways I have read appeal to me.

1. Ask the dealer
  2. Check the inside of the owner's manual
  3. Look for the factory card somewhere
  4. Use two key fobs to reveal the code
  5. Look behind the fuse box
  6. Check the VIN
I have looked into all of them

1. Who knows, mCosts $50 up
  2. Nothing
  3. Can't find it. Probably gone
  4. Might work for later models years
  5. I have bad memories of taking apart plastic covers. They never go back in the way they were. May be if I could squeeze in a mirror somehow. I had a 98 Explorer and the code was behind a hatch in the cargo compartment. It was a struggle but I got it.
  6. Read somewhere that the code is embedded somewhere in the VIN. VIN decoding did not reveal anything.
Why does Ford make it so difficult? Seems like intentional. Is there another way I have not tried?

Dennis_H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That video is how I had to find mine in a 2010. Wrote it in the manual when I got it.

IIGood

Reaction score
Why does Ford make it so difficult? Seems like intentional. Is there another way I have not tried?

Well, yes, it is intentional given what it is. It's a code to *unlock the vehicle.* Would you really want that in plain sight for anybody to see?

I unfortunately paid to have mine pulled by Ford. I didn't feel comfortable messing with how that box is mounted so while I had it in for some other service, I had them pull the door code for me. The cost was as much as their diagnostic fee (which, compared to what I had done, was a drop in the bucket).

OP
OP

10Expedition

Reaction score
Well, yes, it is intentional given what it is. It's a code to *unlock the vehicle.* Would you really want that in plain sight for anybody to see?

I unfortunately paid to have mine pulled by Ford. I didn't feel comfortable messing with how that box is mounted so while I had it in for some other service, I had them pull the door code for me. The cost was as much as their diagnostic fee (which, compared to what I had done, was a drop in the bucket).

Once you get to the box problem is solved. I just hate to pull trim pieces. They never go back in tight. May be I could get over it once the novelty of the "new" car wears off. I don't see taking it to the dealer. What is the scheduled service @100,000 miles?

IIGood

Reaction score
I just hate to pull trim pieces. They never go back in tight.

When I attempted to look for the code for mine, I only had to pull the kick panel trim off. I didn't pull the door sill plate off as that video above mentions.

Now, I gave up when I saw what was involved beyond that...maybe I would've had to pull the door sill trim? I dunno. But once I put the kick panel back on, it was fine. To me it seemed like it had a different way of clipping in than a regular piece of trim. No prying or pushing back in place...more like undoing it and opening a door.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you purchased the truck from a dealer, they should provide the code for free. If not, your local dealer may still be willing to print off the report w/ the code for you. As for those plastic panels, just grab a $5 trim removal kit from Harbor Freight and have at it. They will go back on fine. And of course they will rattle just like they do now. It's a Ford. The rattling panels are as common as the failed driver windows, clicking blend door actuators and peeling paint. :p

Plati

Reaction score
For any Techno Geeks out there ... there is at least one other way to get the code. Hack into the computer system by manually pressing buttons. I know, there are 100,000 possible solutions so furget that. But wait ... this is 2020 -> program a robotic system to do that! This article even implies that using some mathematics, you could do it manually in a reasonable amount of time but I'm not so sure about that. Just food for thought.
https://hackaday.com/2018/06/18/opening-a-ford-with-a-robot-and-the-de-bruijn-sequence/

geez ... i remember the good old days with the 8080A BUGBOOK

Last edited:
OP
OP

10Expedition

Reaction score
Just called the dealer. $49 and almost half a day wasted time to bring it in for service. Not sure if they too have to take apart the trim or they just plug in their computer.

Dennis_H

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It only takes a few minutes to pull the trim, loosen the box, and get the code. I pulled the box out just enough to get my phone in a place to take a pic. It isn't a bad job at all to do yourself.