Keys in car

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

INTERSTREAMER

Reaction score
When I leave the keys in the car - I have code based entry - the doors won't lock. How do you override this? i like to leave the keys inside hidden on occasion.

69Hcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You need to give us more info to help. What year and model do you have. I leave mine in my 04 all the time when I go to the gym.

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife's Mazda won't allow us to lock the keys in either. One day I got the idea to manually push the locks down with the car running and I was excited when the doors remained locked - until they wouldn't open. I had to go in through the trunk (with the 2nd key) to get the car unlocked. :lol:

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you leaving them in the ignition? I used to leave mine in the center console and had no problems locking the vehicle. This was an 08.

black 4x4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Even if your car is brand new with a smart key you should be able to lock your keys inside.

OP
OP
I

INTERSTREAMER

Reaction score
More info on Keyless

Thanks for all the replies.
I have a brand new 2015 Expedition XL. This is my 4th Expedition and I have never had an issue before. It appears there is some safety feature that may be in the menu listing, where it honks if you have car off, lock the car with keys in. The locks open and it lets out two quick honks. I like being able to leave them hidden inside, I just can't find the feature switch.

k9education

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.
I have a brand new 2015 Expedition XL. This is my 4th Expedition and I have never had an issue before. It appears there is some safety feature that may be in the menu listing, where it honks if you have car off, lock the car with keys in. The locks open and it lets out two quick honks. I like being able to leave them hidden inside, I just can't find the feature switch.

Did you try this?

Have you tried turning Auto Unlock off? There is a how-to video here.

BEAR5oh

Reaction score
I have a 2010 and have never had a problem locking the key(s) inside. I've even done it while the key is in the ignition and vehicle is running. I used to do this all the time on really hot days. I'd go out to the car in the parking lot about 15-20 minutes before I'm clocking out for the day. Gets the inside nice and cold. I put the key in the ignition, get the car running, then close the door. I then push the last two buttons on the outside keypad simultaneously. Locks the whole thing up tight. Then I come out after quittin' time and put in the code. Unlocks with no problem. Nice and cold inside.

B.